Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't figured out how to easily add fitbit friends but i'd friend you for friendly competition. I'm tempted to get DS another FitBit (however, it would be the one, not the zip he used to have) just to motivate him to MOVE during the lazy summer days...figure I can "track" him a little on my phone so he's not sitting at home all afternoon after camp lets out!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

update - ok after few weeks, i was finally able to get my daily average # of steps to be over 10,000!! Except for one day, every day since 4th of July i've gotten over 10,000 steps per day.

I really do have to consciously make an effort to get 10k in a day, especially during the week. I still am not jogging so it's all just random walking. I do have a desk job with 30-45 min commute (by car) each way so it requires serious effort. What works for me now is I try to get 4,000 steps by lunch break and 7,000 before i get into my car at the end of the day. when i got home, after eating dinner i run around with the kids and play with them. that way i don't get home at the end of the day and realize i only have 5,000 steps left and just give up. If i have 9,000 once the kids are in bed i will go around the house either doing laundry, sorting laundry, decluttering so i can get my steps in. I do notice that house is a lot less messier now, i guess now bc i have motivation, lol!

what's cool is that now DH has been motivated to walk more too. he's been working from home mostly and used to get only 5k steps a day. now he is around 9k average..now that he's on college campus for work and doing other things. he's been doing the elliptical machine too just to try to get more steps than me.

i've also added more friends on there so i have that to keep me motivated..i do check it and if so and so has more steps than me i am more motivated to get up and get moving. it's funny but i guess all this competition etc really works!!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 07-15-2014 at 02:44 PM.

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had just received my Fitbit when ms.pacman first posted this, and I'm kind of relieved because I had the same issue at first with getting really low step counts during the work week. Same situation, desk job, long commute and we can't even take the stairs. On days when I didn't actually exercise, I was easily as low as 3,000 steps. That was very eye opening for me, as I knew I wasn't especially active, but I felt like running around at home would register a bit more. Fast forward two weeks or so, and I'm starting to make 10,000 pretty regularly! I am very tired when I do make it though! The best thing is that I've learned to distinguish mentally tired at the end of a day from physically tired. So, if I haven't hit my steps toward the end of the day, I can talk myself into trying to keep going since I know that I'm not physically tired yet.

I just finished C25K, so that helped spur me on to get steps a lot. Today I did the elliptical for 45 mins and that was over 5,000 steps. The one thing I'm struggling with is getting steps on days when I just work with weights at the gym. I've decided to not worry about it on those days because I really do want to incorporate this into my workout routine and just really don't have enough time to get in two workout sessions.

Good job!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3