Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Quick Party WWYD

Our backyard is huge (old farm, so horse pastures, really) but with no shade, so for Fiona's birthday tomorrow, I booked a tent and some tables and chairs. Well, it's been pouring all day, and even through noon tomorrow we're supposed to get "a few showers". Should I even bother setting up a tent and having at least playtime outside? With it pouring all day today, it's going to be really wet out there. I can't get a refund on the tent, but I'd rather just not pick it up if we're not going to use it.

What do you think? Any point to the tent?
    Last edited by Raidra; 06-13-2014 at 12:40 PM.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd plan on being inside. I imagine a group of kids would turn a soggy yard into a muddy mosh pit in no time.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm having a party outside tomorrow . It's water play rain or shine!

So I'd set up the tent.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    I'd plan on being inside. I imagine a group of kids would turn a soggy yard into a muddy mosh pit in no time.
    For that reason, I'd plan outside and let parents know to plan on mud fun! My kids love playing in the rain and mud.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    I imagine a group of kids would turn a soggy yard into a muddy mosh pit in no time.
    This, but I guess if it doesn't matter what condition the yard is in afterward, I guess it's fine.

I second letting the parents know. I freely admit I'm very high maintenance, so I'd bring extra clothes, towels, and a blanket for DS to sit on in his car seat. And I might even ask to borrow your half bath to try to wipe him down. I do not like muddy children. LOL
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Interesting, conflicting thoughts. So it's a Frozen party, with lots of fancy, girly things. Tulle, sparkles, glitter, etc. Maybe I'll plan on having the food and craft activities inside, and then set up the tent over the sandbox and still do the squirt gun stuff I was planning on. Those who don't want to get muddy can stay inside if they want.

Thanks!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Raidra View Post
    Interesting, conflicting thoughts. So it's a Frozen party, with lots of fancy, girly things. Tulle, sparkles, glitter, etc. Maybe I'll plan on having the food and craft activities inside, and then set up the tent over the sandbox and still do the squirt gun stuff I was planning on. Those who don't want to get muddy can stay inside if they want.

Thanks!
    I think that sounds like fun. It's not our whole yard, but a few times a year our 8x8 foot sandbox turns into a mud pit. I put them in older swim suits and they go crazy. They have so much fun and it's just good times!
    Kris

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We are having the boys birthday party tomorrow too, with the same borderline weather forecast. We have a small house and too many people, so hoping people don't mind muddy kids! Plus I shampooed or family room rug earlier this week, and with this damp weather, it hasn't really dried and smells like wet dog.

I bet the sun comes out and the parties are awesome! Good luck tomorrow!

And yes, I would put up the tent, even if just add a place to retreat to as the rain comes and goes.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thinking of you and hope it is a great day!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The rain held off just long enough for our party, hope it did for you too OP!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011