abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default what WDW hotel to book?

we would love to be on the monorail and avoid the buses. dc are still pretty little, so may come back some for naps, and will have a double stroller, so would prefer to avoid the bus. i think we will be at MK, maybe exclusively. (last time we did epcot, MGM and AK and by far liked MK the best.) what would you recommend?

also...can 2 adults and 4 children stay in 1 room? (website says "sleeps 5"). FWIW, youngest will be 1 or maybe newly 2 when we go.

what is the best way to book hotel rooms, to get the best price?

thanks so much!
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If the room sleeps 5, I think you can have 1 additional little one who is under 3, so you should be fine, but still squeezed pretty tight.

As for how to book the hotel rooms, if you have AAA, they almost always have codes that bring your cost under the regular rack room if you use one of their travel agents. However, if you keep up with Mousesavers.com http://www.mousesavers.com/walt-disn...nts-and-deals/, you may be able to find a code that will bring your cost down below even that. (On our trip this spring, we were never able to get a better deal, though.) Even if you've booked through AAA, you can get that travel agent to see about using one of the codes to reduce your rate.

I'll let others say which resort would be best. I'm guessing it's going to be Contemporary though from your description of where you want to go. The Polynesian is going through major rehabs right now that will make it less ideal for a while. And Grand Floridian just seems a little stuffy for little ones.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

You could look into renting DVC points for Bay Lake Tower, which is attached to the Contemporary. You'd have monorail access plus a 10 min or so walk to MK. You could get a 2 bedroom suite, which would give you plenty of room.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you are mainly going to MK, Wilderness Lodge would be worth checking out. Not on the monorail, but there is a direct, short boat ride to MK and you can roll a double stroller on without folding it. We really liked our stay there. Not sure what rooms might sleep larger parties there, but it is listed on the WDW website as a place that has rooms that sleep 5 or more. It is a deluxe, but usually is one of the cheapest deluxes.

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not sure when you're going, but the monorails are running a shortened schedule which, depending on what time you want to be at the parks, would mean taking a bus no matter what. Or walking, if you're at the Contemporary.

FWIW, we went when our kiddos were about those ages and we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside (which allows 5 per room, plus a kid under 3 in a PNP). The buses were never a problem for us even with the double stroller and we all loved the resort. There was plenty of space in the room for the PNP, the double stroller, and our luggage.

We always book directly through Disney, watching for discounts on disboards.com.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

thank you all for the recs. we are thinking of going early 2015. maybe feb or end of april.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)