kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Not feeling the Ikea Norddal bunk bed love

We purchased the Ikea Norddal bunk bed set a few months ago. It was great! DD sleeps on the bottom bunk with our cat. The top bunk is reserved for stuffed animals normally or sleepover guests. Her room had so much more space after we made the switch! It was fabulous.

Now, she bumps her head when she sits up on the bottom bunk. She hits her toes on the underside of the top bunk when she's just playing around and not paying attention. I think that her torso *just* fits when she's sitting on the bottom bunk. She's going to grow! What do we do then?

I just want a couple more inches of space between the bunks! I don't see how I can make that happen, though. Ugh.

Her old bed is currently in our garage. I was planning to sell it, but now I'm wondering if I should put that bed back in her room instead of the bunks. Double ugh.

Update: After speo's comment DH and I checked out the size of the mattress that was on the bottom bunk. It was much, much taller than the Ikea foam mattress that we had put on the top bunk. We flip flopped the mattresses and the bottom bunk was much, much better but the top bunk was unsafe b/c of how high the mattress went up compared to the safety rails. After another stop at Ikea to purchase another foam mattress, we're all set!
    Last edited by kristenk; 06-24-2014 at 10:28 AM.

speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hmm. That's a bummer. I am curious. We have that bunkbed. I can sit in the bottom bunk and my head doesn't touch with a tiny room to spare. Do you have a box spring, thick bedding or something? My boys have never hit their head.
    DS1 2005 and DS2 2007

We just transferred the mattress that was on her old bed to the bottom bunk. Maybe that's exceptionally thick? Normal twin bed sheets fit fine. I'll have to check tomorrow.

Granted, when I noticed that her head was reaching the underside of the top bunk, she was doing splits in her bed, so she might have been more upright than normal!

jal is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kristenk View Post
    We just transferred the mattress that was on her old bed to the bottom bunk.
    But did that include the box springs or did you get bunkie boards for the bunk beds?

If you do a google image search on bunk beds, you will notice that none of the bunk beds have a box spring and mattress. They appear to only have one mattress, but there's supposed to be a bunkie board (basically a platform) that the mattress sits on. Of course if there are enough cross supports, I guess you could simply place the mattress directly on them.

Quote Originally Posted by jal View Post
    But did that include the box springs or did you get bunkie boards for the bunk beds?
    No, it didn't. She's never had box springs due to the setup of her beds. We moved the mattress from her old bed to the bottom bunk.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We also made a switch to an Ikea bunk bed and LOVE the extra space. We bought the Svarta metal one which is even lower - and haven't had a problem. We even purchased the trundle for underneath - so we can have 3 kids sleep together. The bunkbed is SOLID - love the construction and my boys have been rough on it. We did not need bunkie boards.

I think they are made for most IKEA mattresses which are considerably thinner (3 inches?). We did put our mattress on the bottom though - and even i'm able to sit up without hitting my head. It's low - but I certainly can sit up straight once bending over to get in.

If you wanted some extra room you could try the ikea mattress (they may have a comfort guarantee). I know i certainly didn't think they could be comfy when they are SO small rolled up and thin - but the kids have never complained!