View Poll Results: What do you embroider on DC's backpack/lunchbox?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Name

10 21.28%
  • Last Name

1 2.13%
  • Monogram

9 19.15%
  • A Picture (animal, sports ball, etc)

6 12.77%
  • Nothing--it's not safe for my DC

1 2.13%
  • Nothing--I don't think it's necessary

26 55.32%
  • I need a vacation! I can't think about Back to School now!

2 4.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Do you monogram DC's backpack/lunchbox?

I am thinking about purchasing the LE Classmate backpack and lunchbox for DS1 who will enter Kindergarten in the fall--the LE sale ends tomorrow. I was thinking LE because I liked that it had a chest strap and I didn't think that he would like the pictures on the LLB Discovery backpack.

I remember reading a BBB thread where someone questioned the safety of monogramming/putting name on backpacks and lunchboxes, but I wanted to put something on the bag so DS1 can quickly can ID his things.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by stinkyfeet; 06-22-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

No for backpacks. This year I did for lunchboxes. Backpacks stay in the kids lockers or cubbies, so there's little chance of bringing home the wrong one. Lunchboxes get thrown in a bin with others after lunch so the kids can go to recess after. Last year dd came home with the wrong one (same PBK patten)
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I don't because I hand them down. DS2 is using the backpack DS1 used K-2. Our school has spots to hang the backpack that is just for that kid. Basically a cubby or set of hooks that have the child's name above them, so they aren't digging it out of a pile or something. At lunch, their bags are on the tables, but DS2 had no issue finding his.
    Kris

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I did but you need to look hard to see it. HE will be able to see Jack stitched in gray but its orange and gray patterned so it blends well.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I plan on taking my girls to pick patches for their LE classmates and applying them with badge magic ( recommended here!) That way they'll have something "personal" on the backpack for easy recognition in case someone else happens to have the same bag/color.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I did but you need to look hard to see it. HE will be able to see Jack stitched in gray but its orange and gray patterned so it blends well.
    Ours was similar to that too. At our school, lunch boxes go in a big bin altogether after lunch and then get taken back to the classroom after recess so could easily get mixed up/lost. We do seem to have a lot of overlapping brands/colors/patterns around here too so I can easily see bags getting mixed up.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't normally. Initially, I thought it would be a safety issue, although I really do not see the harm in a monogram. I definitely wouldn't embroider their names, though.

I will say that DD2 has matching backpack/lunch bag with a 3-initial monogram...they are NOT her letters, though. Bought them at a LL Bean Outlet and just happened to accidentally find a matching set (discovered after we left store...the monogram blended in that much).

If you just want to write something that stands out, embroider a word such as "Smile!" It'll be easier to sell afterwards...or you can do the Gosselin thing with the upper and lower case of DC's first name. I thought that was cute.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't because mine get handed down. But I would monogram, but not full name. My DD1 had the same LLBean lunchbox as another girl this year. I just put a large peace symbol key chain on one of the zippers so she could easily identify hers. She has a dolphin key chain on her backpack.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

For something we will wear out - yes. For something like a preschool backpack that can be handed down or a general sports bag, no. Instead, I ordered some key fob things from Etsy and hang those on the top of the backpack. The name is helpful for the teachers to see whose is on the floor, forgotten, etc.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I usually do a single initial. I like the personal touch it gives although we don't really need it as we go to a small school where no one else has the same bags/lunch boxes as we do.
    K

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast