Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

How have other people who have left your company done it? If it isn't par for the course to tell, I wouldn't. I think it is way more common not to tell, but your situation might be the rare one that does tell. I'd want to see how others before me have handled it though. You most likely don't want to be a trailblazer in this situation.

I too would worry that the "sweeten the pot" thing might backfire.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I went through that around a year ago, when it was looking both internally and externally. I did not tell my boss about my search, but I did not have a great relationship with her and she was part of the reason I wanted to leave her group. I can't remember exactly but I do think I mentioned "wanting new challenges" in our annual review but I can't remember how specific I was about really wanting to move.
    I did however, start doing some internal networking, and I had conversations with 3 trusted coworkers who knew I wanted a change into a different group. Because I did that, 2 of them sent me the same internal job posting for the position I eventually got. So I am glad I was able to get the word out there. I mean, I would have probably seen the posting eventually but they both thought of me when they saw it because they knew it was what I was wanting. And since 2 of them were more senior, they could give me the inside scoop on things if something was coming up in a management meeting. I also think it helps to be be as clear or specific as possible with what you want. I think it helps people help you better in this type of situation.
    Our company did have a policy that if you wanted to actually apply and interview for an internal position, you had to first alert your boss before doing so. I think they had to give their approval. But I think they almost always do. I was surprised about how supportive my boss was actually, when it got to that point of actually interviewing for a specific position (as opposed to voicing the intentions of a general search). Once I told her I wanted the available position, she was only helpful. Maybe she thought it would make her look better, and she probably wasn't heartbroken to see me go anyway. But bottom line I did have to loop her in eventually and it did not cause problems. I would not tell a boss I was looking externally though. Maybe if we were very good friends but if I was wanting a change I would focus on the internal positions as far as communications on the matter with my boss.
    Last edited by elektra; 06-27-2014 at 01:03 AM.
    DD
    DS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3