ChefGirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Please Educate me on DukeTIP program!

My oldest is going into 6th grade this fall. My friend's son is also in the same grade. She was telling me the other day how we have to get our boys in the DUKE Tip program and have them prepped this December to take the SAT. I was like "what"? So my DH looked up Duke TIP website and found out that in order to be able to take the SAT in 7th, you have to qualify via a IQ test. Well, we have not taken one since he tested into his prep school five years ago. Anyway, can you guys educate me about the Duke TIP program please? We are from Southwest so the summer programs really ain't that convenient for us either. And, they are pricey too!

What benefits would he get out of being qualify for the DUKE Tip program? Thank you everyone!!!
    Chefgirl
    Mommy to 3 WILD and SWEET kids

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I did the JH CTY program in middle school, and took the SAT in 7th. In my case, my family did not have the financial resources to pay for expensive camps. There were no online offerings at that time. Taking the SAT before it mattered for college admissions was very helpful to me in knowing what to expect, and I think it eased a lot of anxiety about taking the SAT for the first time when it truly counted.
    Ds1 qualified for TIP based on standardized test scores. He took the EXPLORE in November, and that was his first ever group testing experience, so I consider it valuable in that regard. It was also his first scantron style test, as he qualified for EXPLORE via the PIAT-r, which is done without pen and paper. He ceilinged out on the PIAT-r test in multiple domains, so talking an 8th grade test as a 4th grader gave us some useful information. His results from EXPLORE qualify him to apply to Davidson's program.
    TBH, I think a portion of these programs is marketing and making money. However, we have family in NC, so summer camps, etc at Davidson or Duke are a decent option. As homeschoolers, programs like this give some legitimacy to parent-issued grades. I think that it is beneficial socially for some of these kids to hang with kids with similar interests, and to have access to some things like science labs at an earlier age. I also imagine for some kids it is probably helpful to learn in a setting where they are stretched and challenged, and perhaps are not anywhere near the top of their class. I feel that experience is likely character-building for some kids who are typically able to be at the top, possibly even without having to really work for it, in their normal educational setting.

I can't recall but can't kids qualify to take the SAT via TIP based on standardized test scores vs just IQ? At my son's age that is the case with Duke TIP and Davidson ( Davidson requires two of the three: qualifying standardized test scores (very high), qualifying IQ (very high), or portfolio. We have not completed IQ testing at this time.

eta: there are also online course offerings. I think they get decent feedback, and we may try a few over the next 1-2 yrs. I think there are other online classes that are equally good if not better for the same price, so I wouldn't let that be the sole driver necessarily. For example, Art of Problem Solving offers some incredibly challenging online coursework, well-suited to many G/T kids who enjoy math.
    Last edited by brittone2; 06-26-2014 at 10:35 AM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    I think that it is beneficial socially for some of these kids to hang with kids with similar interests, and to have access to some things like science labs at an earlier age. I also imagine for some kids it is probably helpful to learn in a setting where they are stretched and challenged, and perhaps are not anywhere near the top of their class. I feel that experience is likely character-building for some kids who are typically able to be at the top, possibly even without having to really work for it, in their normal educational setting .
    My experience with TIP was over 20 years ago, so the specifics have changed, but all the above were definitely true. A family member did 2 summers' worth of TIP programs, both on-campus and at the Duke Marine Lab (not sure that's still an option). It was particularly good for a very bright girl to have the chance to spend time with other bright girls, at an age when being smart wasn't always socially popular. A few years later, she went to our state's residential math/science high school, where she found a number of her TIP friends.

ETA: I had forgotten that she also went to Summer Ventures (which I had forgotten about until marymoo mentioned it) -- that was the summer between 10th and 11th grade, and although the program was good, I think the usual teen social stuff was more of a distraction than it had been in TIP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NCGrandma; 06-26-2014 at 05:54 PM.

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS has taken the EXPLORE test the last two years. If I remember correctly, he qualified based on his Cogat score which was taken at school. He will likely sign up for the SAT as well when he's in 7th grade. The testing has been helpful in that it does raise the ceiling as brittone mentioned, so that we can get a better assessment of where he is beyond just "above grade level". DS seems to kind of enjoy taking the test each year, so I keep signing him up! We did buy one of the online courses that he was interested in, and he liked it, but really wasn't all that motivated to do any others. We haven't looked into any of the summer camps yet since they are not close to us, but might consider them in the future.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I believe Stanford has a similar program. A friends daughter went when she was a sophomore or junior in high school I think, so out if middle school, but she still had a great time. Stanford is much closer than Duke. She is now going to be a junior at SMU. Does Rice or SMU have programs like that? There has to be something in the SW.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I sent you a PM. In short, I think it's a good program but not necessary, definitely not anything to stress over if your school doesn't participate or your DC doesn't qualify somehow.
    K

I did it and enjoyed and then went on to do Summer Ventures which was more engaging in my experience.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I sent you a PM. In short, I think it's a good program but not necessary, definitely not anything to stress over if your school doesn't participate or your DC doesn't qualify somehow.
    I agree with this. A few people in my school qualified for the JHU version of this in 7th grade. All it meant at the time was that they could qualify for CTY programs. Why does your friend think your kids "must" attend. i think the biggest benefit as others have stated, was the social aspect. I had one classmate in particular who really felt like CTY was the only place she fit in etc. I don't think being part of these programs has any baring on later academic success.