bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Yosemite in a Day--What would you see? How would you do it? WOULD you do it?

We are staying at Mammoth Lakes this summer for vacation, like we did last summer. DH and the boys LOVED it. I did too, but I regretted not stopping by nearby Yosemite! I LOVE that place, but particularly I LOVE the Mariposa Grove all the way near the south gate of Yosemite. It is seriously one of my favorite places I've ever gone and we'll be RELATIVELY close it. Still, according to google maps it is a cool 3 hour drive. I thought maybe I could make an outing out of visiting Yosemite, with coordinated and well planned stops through the valley as we traverse the whole thing--twice!

DH doesn't really want to go but will to please me. He plans on taking lots of fishing trips while we are up there and this is really the only thing I really, really want to do. Would you do it? Would you bring the family along? Would you go by yourself? I'm thinking we leave early in the morning and plan our trip to end around the kids' bedtimes. It will be a lot of driving but I thought if we could punctuate it with hikes, tours, even fun stops for food that it might actually be really fun.

What do you think?

FWIW, I'm thinking about some of my favorite things--the hike to mirror lake (easy for kids--they could ride bikes or ride in stroller), hike to lower yosemite falls, lunch or breakfast at Ahwahnee hotel, obviously the mariposa grove (including possibly the tram tour), and I don't know the Tuolumne Meadows area at all but I'd love to do something there...

WWYD?

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yosemite is incredible. Worth a day trip for the whole family for sure. I went there for one day with bi guidebook or plan 15 years ago and still vividly remember the sites I stumbled across.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Better to go for a short time than not at all! I can't remember all we did there but I loved the guided star watching one night!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh, it is good to hear I'm not crazy for wanting to do this! I like the idea of guided star watching. I'm wondering if we can fit that in...

Thanks! Any other must do things to break up the day?

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We went when DS was a tiny infant and loved it, even though we didn't see and do as much as we would have otherwise. I remember nursing him in the car with a view of Half Dome.

Have fun!
    DS age 9

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's worth the trip for sure, but it is a lot of driving. You could see the mariposa grove and the valley OR tulomne meadows, but I wouldn't try both or you will driving all the time. In the valley, you could do one small hike. The hike to vernal falls is amazing, but really the best part is the end when you get to vernal falls, and it is slippery at the end. You could hike to the footbridge and see the falls. I don't know how full they are this year, given the drought. Mirror lake is always an easy option - last year there was no water in August, so do check that out. It's still a pretty hike, though. You can check out lower yosemite falls, which is an easy walk. Again, don't expect a lot of water this year, especially in the summer, but my kids enjoy scrambling on the rocks in that area (not near the water, which is dangerous, but on the way there).
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis