Mali is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default happy coincidence or start of potty training?

I don't quite know what to make of this. For two nights in a row, DD has gotten in the tub for her bath for varying lengths of time, started farting, agreed to sit on the potty when asked if she needed to go, and actually pooped in it after several minutes both times. But she's only 17 months which I thought was WAY way too soon for potty training.

Does this still fall under happy coincidence and a gift from the cleaning gods that I didn't have to scrub her tub? Or should I start paying more attention to her cues and trying to get her to use her potty during the day too? I really don't want to push her because I'd much rather deal with diapers than constipation/witholding issues, but I don't want her to be frustrated if she's ready and I'm oblivious.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd consider it a happy coincidence for now and would follow her lead. My DS2 started doing that around the same age and a few months later he still sits on the potty before bath as part of our routine while I fill the tub. We'll probably wait until 2.5 or so for actual training.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My oldest 2 boys both PT'd very easily around 18-19 months. I would keep offering regularly before/during the bath and consider adding more chances (like first thing after she wakes in the morning or after a nap).
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

I'd vote "happy coincidence" with a measure of "isn't physiology funny?" Pretty common to have this kind of thing happen... Kids' bellies relax in the tub with all that warm water, the toots start, and we all know what is likely to come next! However, that doesn't mean you can't use this to your advantage as long as she is happy and excited to sit up there!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Mali is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks! I'm just excited that she's willing to sit on her potty now. There was a period of time when she wouldn't and we were having to drain and clean the tub almost every night. >< Anything is better than that!