Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default **Would you choose Maui or Kauai for family vacation??

Would you choose Maui or Kauai for a family vacation?

And, when is the best time of the year to go?
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Maui if it is your first trip or have little kids. You just can't beat it for kid friendly and variety, from remote beaches to kid filled beaches and other stuff to see and do (aquarium for cloudy or break from the beach day, up country, volcano). Kauai is gorgeous and amazing too, but the weather is often more iffy and just a different pace. I know some people who always do Kauai though and love the slower pace. I think when our youngest is a little older and can hike, etc. we will go to Kauai more. Fun choices!!!

I agree. If you're looking for sightseeing and activities, definitely Maui. If you plan to stay in the resort the whole time or just enjoy nature, Kauai.

Exactly. I love Kauai, but Maui is a bit "easier" for a family...

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

We have done both in the last 3 years. Maui had a lot more for kids. Actually, it had a ton more to do and choose from. We had a chance to go back to Kauai , but I declined because the only thing DD1 loved were the chickens and the sugar cane plantation water tubing tour. We didn't find much that DD2 was old enough to enjoy.
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

We went to Kauai in February and had a great time! It is absolutely gorgeous and not too touristy. It did rain the first couple of days we were there but we live in SoCal and rarely see rain so that was kind of fun. DD1 took surf lessons, we swam in the hotel pool a ton (the Marriott pool is huge and the Hyatt pool is amazing), DH and DD1 did the sugar cane plantation tube tour, we all went on Captain Andy's boat tour of the Nepali coast which was amazing, we went to a luau, DD3 chased the chickens all over the place, we put the kids in the Hyatt's Kids Kamp and drove up Waimea Canyon, etc. We really had a nice time. It is not a fast-paced, entertainment filled place. It is beautiful and slow paced and just what we needed!
    Last edited by crayonblue; 07-15-2014 at 06:28 PM.