khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Montreal - what to do?

So DH and I are going away for 2 nights to Montreal in mid-August. It will be our 11th Wedding anniversary on the Saturday night that we are there. We'll be there Friday and Sat nights.

What things should we do? We are staying at the Hilton Bonaventure using Hilton points. I plan on spending alot of time laying at the pool if the weather is nice. DH is not really a "planner" and doesnt like to have an "agenda". But what are some good options of things to do? I know about the Biodome and gardens. What other things should we think about? What are some good restaurants? Bars? Places to see music maybe?
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Walk up Mont Royal; take train/subway around - we did our own "beer tour" via public transportation; take a bike tour http://www.caroulemontreal.com/fr/
    Of course, this was 2006, but, probably all still relevant things!

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Eat at Joe Beef. Reserve now.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms B View Post
    Eat at Joe Beef. Reserve now.
    Bummer. They are closed the weekend we will be there for their Summer vacation.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just spent 5 days in Montreal, with our kids. We went to a couple of great restaurants that are less expensive than Joe Beef, less special occasion places but amazing food. Both are French bistros, don't necessarily cater to kids but for our older kids were fine. They're both great places for an adult-only dinner: Restaurant Lemeac and L'Express. If you're looking for other restaurants that might be alternatives to Joe Beef, check out the following (some of them are more formal settings than Joe Beef):

Le Club Chasse et Peche
    Les 400 Coups
    Laloux
    Lawrence
    Au Pied de Cochon
    Europea

If you want some fantastic French pastries, check out Maison Christian Faure in Old Montreal. Everything there is to. die. for. The owner, Christian Faure, was always there when we visited, and is just such a lovely person and so gracious, even to the tourists like our family of five coming in off the street speaking little French (well, DH speaks it quite well but let me take the lead the first time we went in). The owner is from France and has some special French recognition for pastry making (M. O. F., can't remember what it stands for) and is the only person in Montreal with this title. Oh, I could live in this patisserie. Fabulous fancy pastries, amazing croissants, a huge brunch "board" offering on Sundays and holidays and a regular breakfast option ~ the latter two are great deals. While DH and I had coffees, the kids had hot chocolate that was silky smooth, rich and thick. We went there probably 4 times and bought items to take home with us . . . that didn't make it all the way home, ahem. Love love love love love this place.

The patisserie's website: http://maisonchristianfaure.ca/en/
    More info on the patisserie: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...619/story.html
    http://www.montrealmoment.com/2013/0...atisserie.html

There are a lot of lovely rooftop terraces in Montreal for dining. One that's on my list for a future trip is Terrasse Nelligan, at the Hotel Nelligan. Supposed to have great views of Old Montreal and the river, and views of the fireworks if you're there on a Saturday in the summer.

As for things to do, strolling around Old Montreal can't be beat. I second a visit to Mont Royal. The Notre Dame cathedral is stunning. The botanical gardens that you already know about are a must in my opinion. We thought we'd spend a couple hours there and were there for over 6 hours. And even then, we weren't ready to leave, but it was our last day in Montreal and we simply ran out of time.

HTH
    Last edited by oneplustwo; 07-22-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling!
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School