Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Game system? Wii U? Xbox? Help!

I think we are going to get our first game system. The kids all have Nintendo DS systems (Lites and 3ds). They are asking for a Wii U, but I want to be sure we get something that will last them a bit anyway. Kids are 6, 8, and 10. They like the Mario games on the DS, so I think the Wii U is the way to go. But, I'm not really sure. Any thoughts?
    Kris

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have had a Wii U for about a year and a half. DS is 11. He likes it, and enjoys the Nintendo exclusive games such as Mario games, Donkey Kong, Zelda, etc. There are plenty of games, and it can play the older Wii games as well, plus you can download games also. There are quite a few fun, family games and the Wii U game controller actually is quite cool to use and can really add to the game experience when it is used in different ways. I am happy with the Wii U purchase. I would recommend a Deluxe version which has more memory.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our Wii sits and collects dust. My DS prefers X Box.

DS is wanting something that has minecraft. xbox or PS
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
    We have had a Wii U for about a year and a half. DS is 11. He likes it, and enjoys the Nintendo exclusive games such as Mario games, Donkey Kong, Zelda, etc. There are plenty of games, and it can play the older Wii games as well, plus you can download games also. There are quite a few fun, family games and the Wii U game controller actually is quite cool to use and can really add to the game experience when it is used in different ways. I am happy with the Wii U purchase. I would recommend a Deluxe version which has more memory.
    Agree.

We planned to get the XBox One this past Christmas but I couldn't swallow the price tag. Games are $$ too. We got the Wii U and been happy with it. Love that it's backwards compatible, unlike the XBox. There are tons of old Wii games out there for cheap.

For the ages of your kids, OP, I think the Wii U will have more appropriate titles to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We got the Wii U and been happy with it. Love that it's backwards compatible, unlike the XBox. There are tons of old Wii games out there for cheap.

For the ages of your kids, OP, I think the Wii U will have more appropriate titles to choose from.
    Same here. My boys are 7 and 10 and we just got a Wii U last Christmas. I know many kids DS1's age has moved on to XBox or PS but this is our first gaming system, so we decided to go with the Wii U. My kids really like the Mario games so it's a good choice for us.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm trying to decide the same thing, but we do already have an old Wii. Based on my research the Xbox One sounds like better technology than the Wii U, but there are very few family/child-friendly games for it yet. We love Mario games, but my kids really love Minecraft too (available on the Xbox 360, but not the Xbox One yet and unlikely to ever be available on the Wii U). I don't want to buy an Xbox 360, since I'm trying to upgrade to a new game system not get another old one.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We love our (old) Wii, but the Wii U is really struggling (market-wise) so I personally wouldn't buy one. We're finishing our basement and will get a PS4 or Xbox One because we "need" Minecraft.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Is Minecraft any different than on the pc? We have the pc version already.

It does seem the Xbox One doesn't have much for younger kids. The 360 looks like it would have some good games, but I've read it'll be not supported after 2016, so that might not make sense. The Wii U looks like what we want, but I don't want to buy another for a long time, so if it'll be outgrown in 3 or 4 years, I'd rather buy something else.
    Kris

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I'm trying to decide the same thing, but we do already have an old Wii. Based on my research the Xbox One sounds like better technology than the Wii U, but there are very few family/child-friendly games for it yet. We love Mario games, but my kids really love Minecraft too (available on the Xbox 360, but not the Xbox One yet and unlikely to ever be available on the Wii U). I don't want to buy an Xbox 360, since I'm trying to upgrade to a new game system not get another old one.
    Everything I've read says that the Xbox holds better longevity for kids as they age. We're primarily looking at an Xbox for Minecraft and Mario so it has us covered. Ds1 has been saving his $ for about 6 months and we've agreed to match him 50%. I like the idea of the Wii, but for so many people we know they just don't get used.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast