Default If you did a three-day potty training method....

.....is it an absolute requirement to take the child nowhere at all?

I could do the three day thing except she has swim lessons fours days a week. They are Mon, Wed, Thurs, and Fri - so no consecutive three days off. Nondisposable swim diapers required.

The lessons are only ten minutes long and located <10 minutes away, so it's a pretty short time. Is it enough to derail potty training, or should I just wait until she finishes her lessons in August? She'll be three in September and shows all signs of readiness.
    Mom to a beautiful girl since 9-2-2011

amm40 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

As long as she pottys before getting in the car I think she'd be fine with that short drive. I would change her at the pool. Don't call attention to the swim dipe, just call it her swim suit. And remind her that pee and poo go in potty only, not pool. Good luck!
    DS1 8/08
    DS2 8/11

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We did. It took 6-7 days, however, before it clicked. Those days he just didn't care if he had an accident. Then, right near the end of my rope it was like a lightbulb went off and he got it. So, hang in there if 3 days doesn't produce magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I did three day potty training with both my DC. In your case I would start Saturday morning. By Monday you should be ok for a quick trip out then home the rest of the day. We were out and about as usual on the fourth day.

When we potty trained, we didn't use the three day method. We went out A LOT! That was actually part of our potty training. DC had to use the potty before we could go out to do the fun thing and use the potty there before doing the next fun thing. We brought along a potty in the minivan in case they were concerned about the public toilet, and we had a protective pad for the car seat and extra clothes just in case, but neither were used. We had a big plastic bag to put the potty in so we could bring it in to public restrooms. Both my kids were potty trained within a couple of days. DS was older, though, about 3.5. DD was under 3. She just wanted to use the potty like her brother. Both used only undies, no pull-ups.

I don't think you need a "method," you just need to know what motivates your kids. For mine, it was simple pride in a job well done. We used no bribery or treats, but we gave big-time praise-- singing, dancing, cheering-- when they went. They were super proud of themselves!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

"I don't think you need a "method," you just need to know what motivates your kids. For mine, it was simple pride in a job well done. We used no bribery or treats, but we gave big-time praise-- singing, dancing, cheering-- when they went. They were super proud of themselves!!!"

Reminds me of what the author of Freakonomics did. He gave a chocolate M&M treat for every time his daughter went to the potty. It worked really well, the girl was in tune with herself but then she ended up being so in tune with herself that she was able to control how much she peed in order to get more M&Ms.