Thread: Key West

Default Key West

DH and I are contemplating a much needed, last minute weekend get away for just the two of us. It's been a doozy of a year and doesn't seem to be letting up (though there has been much good in there too). My passport is expired so we are limited to the US - something I will be recitifying next week, so many great Caribbean get away deals we can't do, grrr. We are typically not "beachy" people. We like the beach for a few hours each day, then we get itching to walk around, see sites etc. Yet this time, I need the type of vacation where the major decision of the day is "margarita or pina colada." We have it down to Puerto Rico or Key West, leaning towards Key West (we want to take the kids with us to PR).

Suggestions on where to stay? This is a low-mid budget type of thing since we didn't really plan for it, but childcare fell into our laps so we figure we should grab the opportunity. BFF says find a B&B near Duval. Anyone know of a few good ones. Many are booked up so we need a few suggestions so I can lock it in.

Also any suggestions on things to do, food etc?

Thank you!
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DH and I spent a couple of nights in Key West about 5 or 6 yrs ago. I would say it's mostly a sight-see and relax town, not really a beach town. The beaches in Key West are very rocky or man-made, so there isn't much "hang out on the beach all day". But it has the laid-back feel. We honestly didn't do much there besides sit by the pool and roam around town. Duval is the main drag, if I remember right, at least for night life. We stayed at the Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, which wasn't a Marriott property at that time. It was not in the center of town, but had a nice shuttle that ran pretty frequently that would drop off in the main area. We enjoyed sunset at Mallory Square, walked to the Southernmost Point Marker, had drinks at Hog's Breath Saloon. Overall, it's just a nice place to chill out.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    DH and I spent a couple of nights in Key West about 5 or 6 yrs ago. I would say it's mostly a sight-see and relax town, not really a beach town. The beaches in Key West are very rocky or man-made, so there isn't much "hang out on the beach all day". But it has the laid-back feel. We honestly didn't do much there besides sit by the pool and roam around town. Duval is the main drag, if I remember right, at least for night life. We stayed at the Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, which wasn't a Marriott property at that time. It was not in the center of town, but had a nice shuttle that ran pretty frequently that would drop off in the main area. We enjoyed sunset at Mallory Square, walked to the Southernmost Point Marker, had drinks at Hog's Breath Saloon. Overall, it's just a nice place to chill out.
    I agree with this. No real beach but you can snorkel. We stayed at a nice b&b years ago, there are many--Key West is definitely an adult town. Think there is a Hemingway museum and a Truman house? (some former president). I would make sure wherever you stay that there is a nice pool.