MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Time to train: Fall half-marathon check in!

Is anyone else planning to run any half's in the fall?

I'm registered for the race in Chattanooga in October, and my local Thanksgiving day race.

I thought it might be fun to see who here is planning for a half, and offer each other some periodic check-in's and atta-girl's!!
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm only doing a 10k in the fall because I'm still trying to work out some knee and Achilles stuff. I'm good for about 4 miles before my knees revolt. Goal is to improve my time over last year. . Hopefully I'll do another half next fall though.

Good luck!!

Rarick0 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I'm going to attempt my first half in October here in central KY. I did my first 10k about a month ago. Now trying to increase distance on long runs on the weekends. I have never been much of a runner and run rather slow, but I am determined to cross the finish line of that half be it at a jog, walk, or crawl. It has been hard to fit in running since I'm still trying to attend my usual crossfit 2-3 times a week. However, I have discovered that getting up early on the weekends to run isn't so bad and I have a couple workout buddies who are training for the race with me.

Good luck everyone!

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am training for a 10K. I am also extremely slow and I am working on my speed right now. My goal is to do a half marathon by next July. Doing a 10 miler in March to prepare for the half.
    DD1 6/08
    DD2 10/09

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Also doing a 10k at the beginning of fall. Same one I did last year. Need to get back into running as I did a 5k for the 4th and I was slow. I am slow on general but want to beat last years time

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm doing the 10k at Disneyland Labor Day weekend and then the San Francisco Nike Women's 1/2 in October. I'm really scared about the 1/2 since the longest race I've done is a 10k. To make matters worse I pulled something in my lower back on Tuesday so I have already missed some runs this week.

What training program are the 1/2 runners using? The one I was using is the Jeff Galloway program but it's only 3 runs a week and I feel like I should be running more often to prepare.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

Several years ago I walked a half. I used a variation of the Hal Higdon Training program with a local training group. Medium distance on Tuesday/Thursday; Long distance on Saturday. Rest on Sunday. Monday, Wednesday, Friday was cross training or short distance. Maximum single training distance was 10 miles two weeks prior to the half. Longest training week was 20 miles, 5 each on Tuesday and Thursday with the 10 mile on Saturday. The week before the race was shorter; I think it was 14 miles; 4 on Tuesday and Thursday with a 6 on Saturday. That gives your body a chance to recover before pushing it on the race day. I have knee and feet issues so three days of distance training was plenty for me. I needed the weight training/elliptical to recover from distances.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51...aining-Program

Good luck!

* I'm not a runner and never will be. My half was a challenge to get my butt off the couch.

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hi- lcarlson90! OP here-I am also using a Hal Higdon plan. I am using the Novice 2 plan on his site. You can access it for free. I like it because it assumes a little more running upfront, but does not have serious speedwork. I do not have an aggressive time goal, so I did not want the speed work. You run 4x a week on the plan and also cross train once. I was running about 20 mi/week when I started the training, so I dropped into the plan with the 7 mi long run week (week 4, I think?).

My half is in October too....we should check in periodically and see how it is going!
    Good luck!
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How is everyone doing on their training?

I started the Nike 1/2 marathon training program and it's kicking my butt. I'm in week 3 and I will log 17 miles this week. Next week I start 5 runs/week and 1 day of cardio. I have been able to complete all of the training but it's really taking a toll on my body. My ankles hurt every time I get up and start walking and they kind of make a "clicking" sound. I have 9 more weeks to go and I wonder if my body will be able to sustain all of this training.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05