flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Alimentum for DD2 if DD1 had milk protein allergy?

My first baby had a milk protein allergy and could only handle Alimentum if I supplemented formula. I breastfeed, but would like to give a formula bottle here and there to DD2 at this stage rather than trying to pump one out. I bought a bottle of RTF Alimentum for this weekend because we were traveling with the racehorse and didn't want to deal with a potential reaction. Unlike my DD1, she actually liked the Alimentum and everything seems fine with her afterwards. Should I continue with Alimentum to be safe or should I try a regular formula and see if she reacts? I guess I am curious how hereditary a milk protein allergy is. I really don't want to go through another week like the one I had with DD1 after she had 2oz of regular formula! Thank you.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

have you eliminated all dairy/soy from your diet? if you haven't and she's fine, i think you could try regular formula.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    have you eliminated all dairy/soy from your diet? if you haven't and she's fine, i think you could try regular formula.
    No, I am a cheese and ice cream eating machine! Should I try something like Gerber Good Start Gentle or is that just the same as regular formula?

Is organic any better or less processed than non organic?

Are the ingredients in Alimentum "worse" than regular formula? I kind of cringe when I read all the ingredients but have never looked at regular formula before.

Thanks
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

DS1 had a milk protein allergy and was on Alimentum, but DS2 was perfectly fine on the regular formula. Much cheaper that way too.
    -----------------------
    Karen

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
    No, I am a cheese and ice cream eating machine! Should I try something like Gerber Good Start Gentle or is that just the same as regular formula?

Is organic any better or less processed than non organic?

Are the ingredients in Alimentum "worse" than regular formula? I kind of cringe when I read all the ingredients but have never looked at regular formula before.

Thanks
    If she tolerates dairy in bm you should be fine with a regular formula. When I weaned dd2 we used earths best and liked it.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would guess that she will be fine with dairy if you consume a lot while nursing and she isn't having allergic symptoms--eczema, rashes, etc. All 3 of mine had milk protein allergies but that isn't the norm.
    K

Thanks! I gave a few bottles of the Alimentum that weekend and it went fine. I will give regular formula a try now.

Is there a formula that has the "best" ingredients? I don't really know what I am talking about, except that things like corn syrup and lots of sugar are probably not good. Not sure you can avoid that though. Is there one considered healthiest (even if Alimentum…I don't mind staying on it as she gets so few bottles)?

Gerber Good Start Gentle claims to have partially broken down milk proteins and only whey and on the label says that has proven to reduce allergies in high risk infants - any truth to that and would that be a good one to try?

How important is organic?

Is soy worth a try?

Thank you!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would stay away from soy. It has great allergenic potential and I wouldn't want to sensitize an infant who has siblings who have had allergic tendencies. Odds are she won't be allergic to soy ultimately, I just wouldn't introduce it so young and have it be such a huge part of her diet, kwim?
    K

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My GI doc told me that the only formula without corn syrup is the ready-to-eat alimentum, so thats going to be a hard one to get away from.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Even with the organic ones, they all have some type of sweetener high in the list. I'm not sure I'd say one is better than the other, but I tend to be of the mindset that at the end of the day, a sweetener is a sweetener Organic Similac has organic sugar and organic maltodextrin, others have organic glucose solids, which are commonly derived from corn.