SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Been to Legoland (CA)- tell me about the Lego Discovery Centers

The little ad ds2 just handed me said the Discovery Centers have indoor attractions, rides, mini land, 4d movies, playzone and tours. Can you tell me if the Discovery Centers are fun, lame, worth visiting, no where near the same as Legoland, close enough to Legoland... CA and FL aren't on my radar anytime soon so wondering if a Discovery center is a legitimate substitute. Thanks!

Anyone?

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have one nearby. I haven't been. The tickets are expensive and my guys aren't really into Legos. That said my friends that have gone say it's ok - you can spend a few hours there but it's not an all day thing.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We've been to the one near us, twice..though not recently (i think my kids were 2.5 and 1.5 the last time we went..so it's been a couple years).

In all honestly, my first overall opinion is that it is overpriced, at least for what it is. This is why we haven't gone recently...we went twice and while it was exciting, fun, I can't just swallow paying $70 or so for the whole family to go there. I think the first time we went, we got discounted tickets bc it was off-hours, and anohter time, we got in for free, otherwise i think we would have just gone once!

i agree with jgenie that I can see spending a few hours there but probably not the whole day. I don't know..my kids aren't Lego-maniacs yet though..they are just now getting into Legos. they are still train-obessesd

I have never been to Legoland, so I can't really compare.

There was plenty of stuff to do there...there was a ride, an Imax-type movie, etc and they even have a Jeep adventure ride thing outside. Though to go on it you have to be at least 4yo and a certain height, so my kids have never gone on the rides. And of course there is a Lego store right next to it.

i think it would be AWESOME place for a birthday party sort of event (for kids like 5 and up), but I wouldn't want to fork over the $$ to pay full-price for my family to go, at least not at this age. Maybe when the kids are older and into Legos it will be worth it more though. My kids are still at the age where they had a blast playing couple hours at the rinky-dink strip-mall Lego building center (literally a room, a long table and several tubs of old Legos) ..lol...

So it sounds like it isn't a substitute for Legoland. Bummer. They are far more convenient location wise. Thanks!