KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default IV Iron Infusions...anyone BTDT?

I saw my OB today for my 28 week visit. I was dx'd with anemia at around 12 weeks, put on a Rx iron supplement, 90mg. At 25 weeks my lab results showed my iron is still dropping, so he increased my dosage to 180mg. He mentioned today that if my next labs come back low, he will send me to a hemotologist for IV iron infusions. My next labs are in 2 weeks, at my 30 week appt.

Anyone BTDT? I was not anemic with DS1, so this is new territory for me. I've been making a point of eating iron rich foods, and have never missed a dose of meds. Is there anything else I can try in hopes of not getting to the point of needing infusions?
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

We used Floradix when DS was anemic (the RX iron drops upset his stomach) and it brought his iron levels way up, very quickly. If you search Floradix here, it's been recommended for pregnant women. good luck!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

yes, the floradix is great! you can buy it on amazon.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Long standing anemic here...I've had iron infusions. It wasn't bad, just time out of my day and a little taxing. It definitely helped me, but I'd much rather try to get iron up another way if possible.

I'm sure you've heard is, but just in case, here are a few iron basics: coffee and tea (hot or iced) can leach iron from your system. If you're anemic, try to stay away from or limit your intake (which you're probably already doing because you're pregnant.)
    When taking iron, or eating iron rich foods, try to combine them with some vitamin C. It helps with the absorption of iron.
    On the other hand, stay away from calcium within an hour or so of your iron supplement or high-iron foods. Calcium blocks the absorption of iron. So, if you're taking your iron supplement with your pre-natal vitamin, you are washing it down the toilet and your body is getting little benefit from it.

Good luck!
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

My friend had a bunch of iron infusions. I think the surprising part to her was that it took awhile (in her case, at least) for the infusions to cumulate enough to make a difference. I want to say that she had to have 6 (I hope that you feel the effects immediately).
    Also, another note about what foods can leach iron from your system... I think spinach can? I might be wrong, and it would seem that spinach should ADD iron so check this out on Dr. Google before you believe it too much, but I vaguely recall that my friend had, it turned out, some sort of weird allergy where her spinach was taking away all the iron in her body. She ate a ton of spinach, though.