Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tips for jumpstarting weight loss?

I'm feeling frustrated - I have been exercising, eating clean, no carbs, etc. for the past 10 or so days, and my scale has not budged at all. I used to be able to lose weight fairly easily, and if I behaved myself I could count on dropping two pounds a week. I have gained 20 lbs since my lowest weight in 2011, and I am feeling rather crappy about it. I want feel fantastic on my 40th birthday in February!

So, spam me your best jumpstart tips!
    Last edited by Green_Tea; 07-29-2014 at 10:34 PM.
    Green Tea, mom to three

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Have you looked into 5:2 fasting? There is a pretty big thread here on it. I did whole 30 and liked it, but every time we went on a trip or I had a bunch social get together, it would throw me off track. 5:2 fasting has been working out really well for me. I'm losing onkybabout a lb a wk, hut having no problems maintaining the at loss while losing more. Socially, I work it around social events, so I find it very manageable.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Log in MFP, if you are eating clean and exercising and no carbing, I'd assume you are eating more calories than you should (don't know!), I will say it is HARD to lose weight as you get older (I am 43). What are you doing for exercise? How much? How often?

ETA: MFP = Myfitnesspal
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Following. I'm 39, have taken up jogging, track on MFP, went of BC pill, and still can't budge the scale.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Have you looked into 5:2 fasting? There is a pretty big thread here on it. I did whole 30 and liked it, but every time we went on a trip or I had a bunch social get together, it would throw me off track. 5:2 fasting has been working out really well for me. I'm losing onkybabout a lb a wk, hut having no problems maintaining the at loss while losing more. Socially, I work it around social events, so I find it very manageable.
    I can't fast - it will make me WAY too cranky! I admire those of you who can, though.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Default Tips for jumpstarting weight loss?

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Log in MFP, if you are eating clean and exercising and no carbing, I'd assume you are eating more calories than you should (don't know!), I will say it is HARD to lose weight as you get older (I am 43). What are you doing for exercise? How much? How often?

ETA: MFP = Myfitnesspal
    I have been tracking calories and am coming in between 1000-1300 a day. I am under 5 feet, so this is consistent with what MFP and other sites recommend for me.

In terms of exercise, I am getting 10,000 steps+ a day, plus adding either an extra walk or power yoga a few times a week. I am moving considerably more now than I was a few weeks ago, and definitely consuming fewer calories. I just don't understand why the scale is not moving! I spoke with my doctor about it, and her response was, "Well, you're almost 40." Sigh.

PS - my thyroid is fine
    Green Tea, mom to three

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Are you taking a probiotic? I thought invade heard if every weight loss secret out there and then I read an article in Heath magazine that had some statistic that taking a daily probiotic helps lose stomach gas/bloat that adds weight. I have added one in (culterelle) and tmi but I am pooping twice a day for the first time in years! Not sure about weight loss tho bc haven't gotten in the scale.
    It is so hard to lose weight at my age (45). My ob told me in an appt a few weeks ago that once you are squarely in menopause (I am, with newly diagnosed low testosterone) your body holds on to every calorie.

I have doing PiYO for the last 5 weeks and love it. I follow the eating plan and do the workouts. The work outs range from 20 to 45 minutes 6 days a week. So far I've lost over 10lbs (after being stuck on a plateau for 3 months before I started this) and 2" from my waist, 2" from my hips and 2" from my chest plus inches from my thighs and arms. The workouts are low impact but very efficient. I am totally addicted. I would recommend it to anyone looking to lose weight or improve fitness.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can you clarify what you mean by "no carbs"? How much protein are you eating? How much fat? Have you had a full thyroid panel done lately or do you have any other medical issues?

Quote Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by "no carbs"? How much protein are you eating? How much fat? Have you had a full thyroid panel done lately or do you have any other medical issues?
    My thyroid is tested regularly because I have Hashimotos. I don't have other medical issues.

By no carbs I mean no bread, pasta, chips, ride, corn, potatoes, etc. I am eating lots of veggies and some fruits.

I am eating quite a bit of protein in the form of lean meats, eggs, full fat cheese, avocado, peanut butter. My fats come from those sources as well.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast