wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Stopped BC pill and now shedding more hair. Is that weird?

I stopped taking BC pill ~2mo ago and ever since I seem to be shedding more hair. Why is that? I have short, pixie hair and after going GF 2 yrs ago I hardly ever shed much hair. I was on hormonal BC pill for ~1yr and stopped once DH got the big V. Now I feel like I'm shedding like crazy. I understand that shedding 50-100 hairs daily is normal, and honestly I'm not shedding more than that, but when I blow dry and style my hair in the morning I have a noticeable amount of hair in the sink when I never did before.

Is that a weird thing to happen after stopping BC pill?
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't have any experience with hormonal BC, but I shed scary amounts of hair when DS was about 6-8 months old to the point where I feared I'd go bald. Finally I started taking OTC Biotin and that had a dramatic effect at stopping that shedding to the point that my ponytail was noticeably thicker. I bought mine from Whole Foods and my online research on using it did not bring up any red flags.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks Myira. Will look into that.

Did some googling and it looks like going off BC mimics the postpartum hair loss. Makes sense as my own hormones now need to kick back in. Hopefully the shedding won't last too much longer.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.