Default Leaving glasses and sunglasses in the car?

While reading up online about eyeglasses options, I read that you're not suppose to leave glasses and sunglasses in the car because the heat may warp the frames and lenses. Am I the person that did not know this? I only wear my glasses for driving, so I've been leaving both my regular glasses and sunglasses in the car for over 15 years now, and nothing has ever happened to them. Did I just get lucky?

I guess that I should get in the habit of carrying them in my purse now, but the extra bulk will be sort of a pain, especially when I also need to carry DS2's epipens. Or maybe I'll just use this as an excuse to go shopping for a bigger purse.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My dad was an optometrist and I don't think he ever told me this. He was very much an instructor on cars too (remembering him telling me how to check my oil, how to change a tire, how to get rid of a moldy smell in my car once) and he probably would have told me that about sunglasses. We get pretty hot (upper south east) here, and I have never had a pair of sunglasses warp in the car. I leave my ray bans in there ALL THE TIME. For my readers, those stick with me out of necessity.

babyonway is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I left my eyeglasses in the car once and they got a crackle all over the lenses (they were unusable and had to be replaced) Essentially the scratch resistance on them cracked from expansion due to the heat.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow - i've been doing this also for 25 years - - eyeglasses and sunglasses in the car - without a problem. Can't see me changing anytime soon

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I dont leave them on the dash and I have tinted windows, but I do have glasses both rx & sun that LIVE in my van.

Maybe it depends on how 'fancy' your lenses are? I find that the antiglare lenses are a total PIA to care for.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!