Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default My 7 year old STILL in pull-ups at night...ugh, any advice???

DD is 7 1/2 years old and still wearing pull-ups at night
    We have tried limiting evening fluids and waking her to take her to the bathroom.
    But STILL, the majority of the time she wakes up wet.
    I am so frustrated, so is she.
    Has anyone BTDT?
    Does anyone have any advice??

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I know a girl who turned 8 this summer, and the mom says she is still in a pullup. The girl wanted to go to sleepaway camp and the mother asked if that was ok and the camp said it wasn't a good idea. The girl has sleepovers and goes to sleepovers and disposes of the full pullup herself every morning. The mom was telling me this at the pool - at 8 now and not being able to go to camp, the mom is ready and open to trying to address it more proactively (doctor visit is the first step I think).

newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    I know a girl who turned 8 this summer, and the mom says she is still in a pullup. The girl wanted to go to sleepaway camp and the mother asked if that was ok and the camp said it wasn't a good idea. The girl has sleepovers and goes to sleepovers and disposes of the full pullup herself every morning. The mom was telling me this at the pool - at 8 now and not being able to go to camp, the mom is ready and open to trying to address it more proactively (doctor visit is the first step I think).
    My daughter goes to the same daycamp every year. Next year they start sleepovers. I am very concerned this will be embarrassing for her
    We have talked with the pediatrician....he didn't have a lot of advice other than what we have tried. He thinks she will outgrow it....but honestly, I am tired of waiting for that!

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The MALEM alarm. Go to the Butts! Diapers, Potties & More forum for more info. My DS was wet every night and using pull ups until he was 6.75. We used in starting early april and by mid June he was dry and (knock on wood) hasn't had any accidents in a month. It is well worth the $!!! Also eligible for health care/flexible spending acount if you get a doctor's note on medical necessity.

I was amazed but it really worked!

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm not sure, but isn't being dry at night related to a hormone that causes less pee to be produced? In which case, there wouldn't be much to do but wait? I'm not sure where I read that. I hope you find something that will help.
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

Look into a PIP (Pain and incontinence Program), we were just referred to one for my DS2 - whose 4, but they are supposed to help with toilet issues for kids between 4 - 12, I believe. Our program is at the Children's Hospital.
    Melissa
    DS 09/00
    DD 03/03
    DD 08/05
    DS 12/09

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Another mom here recommended this alarm. http://www.amazon.com/Malem-Ultimate...+wetting+alarm. My son had 1 dry night his entire life prior to this alarm. It took one week of the alarm going off for my ds' body to adjust. He's never had an accident since. We gave our alarm to a friend in DS' class. Same wonderful result. It's now with another friend. Fwiw, we did go to 2 different doctors prior to trying the alarm. None of their recommendations worked. The last dr. prescribed meds. We tried the alarm before the meds and I'm so happy we did. I know it's not cheap, but it costs the same as 4 big boxes of overnight pull ups. My only regret was that we didn't try it sooner.

jillmk is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

A few months ago we used the Chummie alarm for my daughter. (She had just turned 8.) It took 3 or 4 weeks from start to finish, but I was amazed at how well it worked! We had been hesitant to try it for some reason, but did let her know it was an option when she felt ready to try it. When she asked about it again we went for it. It really is amazing! http://www.chummie.com/

When I worked at a summer camp one of my girls who was about 8 took a pill right before bed each night that I was told helped her not wet the bed. No idea what it was or if it was for some other medical condition, but I would bring it up with her doctor as there could possibly be a medical condition or treatment.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

No real advice, but wanted to post and say that you're not alone. I have 2 boys, one of whole is almost 11 and still wets the bed about once a week. My other son is 9 and also had bedwetting issues but has outgrown them (maybe at age 8 or so).

My son is a heavy sleeper and he snores. We've had a sleep study done, but it came back inconclusive. We've done the limit liquids after dinner thing, but it didn't help one bit. We've tried waking him up midway through the night - also didn't work (he'd either wet the bed before or after we'd come for the wake-up, even if we made him get up and use the toilet). We elected not to go the medication route, but that is our family's choice. Our doctor mentioned it, but said often kids go right back to bedwetting if they stop taking the pill.

We've never tried an alarm...maybe we should.
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast