diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default potty training a boy, any tips with pee under potty ring each time?

right now i am potty training my ds who will be 3 soon. he seems to do good if we take him and have him sit on the potty but he does not come by himself and ask to use potty still.

we have a ring which we place on our potty and everytime he pees sitting on the ring and gets up, there is pee under the ring and on our potty. Partly it is because he does not have enough space to let the pee in the bowl but is it because of the ring too? we used the same ring with dd and i dont remember cleaning up everytime she peed. any tips on potty training boys? what age were yours fully trained? ty

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS turns 3 in 3 weeks and is almost trained, at least during the day. He has to be dry to go to preschool, which he actually starts on his 3rd birthday. I started working on it in May but actually had to give up for a month and he just finally started using the potty consistently about two weeks ago. He still has a pee accident once every day or two.

We have a small potty, as well as those toilet seats with the flip-down child-sized seat. And honestly, we don't use any of them at this point. DS would rather sit on the regular seat, even though it leaves him in danger of falling in at any moment (knowing DS, it's probably because he might fall in). If DS sits with his legs pretty far apart, there isn't a mess.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

With DS we had to clean the ring every time until we made a point to tell him to point his penis down.

We haven't started training DD yet so I don't know if it will be any different.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

onyx8 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

We had this issue with one of our two potty rings. I think it's the style of the ring that lends itself to this issue. Our Bjorn ring always had pee under it, the Disney Cars one never did. In the end, I tossed the Bjorn ring and got a second Cars ring. Problem solved.

Bjorn ring (bad):
    http://www.amazon.com/BABYBJORN-Toil...orn+potty+ring

Cars ring (good):
    http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Year...ars+potty+ring

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Huh--we didn't have that problem with DS, but then again we have the "good" cars ring.
    My baby boy is 3!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Have him sit on the toilet backwards without the ring.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Lean and tuck .... Lean and tuck I swear I said that a million times. Put 2 fingers in the top of the penis push "him" down and lean forward had a http://www.amazon.com/BABYBJORN-Toil...aby+bjorn+seat Which worked better than the character ones ( they didnt fit well and pinched one of the boys legs)
    FYI avoid standing as long as possible
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

We have the bjorn ring and a seat with a built-in seat that flips down. My boys get pee under both of them, but DS2 does it more often. I'm sure it has to do with where his penis is pointing. I tried to teach him to hold it down, but he pushes it at the base which just makes the end pop up even higher. The bjorn has that nice piece that's raised up so the boys don't pee over the front of the seat, but the pee just runs down the inside of it and pools under the ring. Having him lean forward does help. I've also wondered if being circumcised might affect the direction of the stream as theirs does seem to come from the side as often as from the very tip. My boys are intact.

eta: Be sure that you are reminding him often as in "Tell Mommy when you need to pee." or "Don't forget that you need to pee in the potty." That works better than constantly asking if he needs to pee. Both of my boys will wait as long as they possibly can before going to the bathroom. There's a good Daniel Tiger episode about using the potty: "If you need to go potty, stop and go right away..."
    Last edited by indigo99; 08-05-2014 at 09:29 PM.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have both circ'd and intact boys I saw no difference in the peeing. Circ'd boys can get scar tissue at the opening and cause crazy directional peeing
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions