trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Birthday trip ideas for December?

In one of the other threads about birthday gifts a poster said they sometimes do trips in lieu of a birthday party. There is a variety of reasons this appeals to me (not related to gifts, but other reasons I would rather not get into). The problem is, DD birthday is in December. We live in an area with mild winters, but it's still cold. The first thing that came to mind was a weekend at the beach, but it's too cold for that. We are going to a theme park in October, so I don't think that's a good idea. Any other ideas? TIA!
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Here in the Midwest, people go to indoor waterparks in the winter.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

DD's birthday is December too (and DS in November). We took a trip to an indoor watermark for one of their birthdays. One time we stayed local, but let DC choose a day of activities - fav restaurant for lunch, out to movie, bowling, etc.

My DD has talked about just me and her going to a hotel to spend the night, getting pedicures, eating out, etc.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think I was that poster, and fwiw my DD has a Dec bday also. It is more difficult now as she has Nutcracker rehearsals that time of the year, but we can usually work around it.
    With my kids we've done:
    Take the train into the city and go to a museum
    Overnight in a hotel in the closest city (40 mins) and a museum or show
    We took DD on a trip to Boston (combined with a work trip for DH). We did stuff during the day, and then on our way out of Boston we stopped in Natick and she picked out her first AG doll from the AG store.

DS1 turned 10 right after we were in WDW, so it was a bit of a bday trip for him (lots of attention for his Bday button, a few "extras" overall)

Other ideas: Ice skating, Broadway show, Nutcracker performance (not sure if that's too holiday for your LO, but my Dec girl loves that). Great Wolf. Hotel stay, restaurant dinner or room service, swimming in a hotel pool. Hotel and out to tea. eta: I see she's younger, so some of those are obviously better suited to older kids.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think any hotel with a pool will do, honestly. My mom used to take ds1 to a local Embassy Suites every year for his Christmas present. They played in the pool, got room service, watched movies in bed and just had a great time.