Thread: Bussing wwyd

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Bussing wwyd

DS will be in first grade this year and DD will be in pre school, which starts at the same time as the rest of the school but only goes two days per week and goes until 10:45. They go to a smallish Christian school, and DS has ridden the bus the past two years. Last year, we got a home stop, and he was the first one on in the morning but was also the first one off in the afternoon.

This year, he is supposed to get on at 7:20 (school starts at 8:10) and be off by 4:13 (school ends at 3:15), so almost an hour each way, which seems really long. I am trying to decide if I want to do both ways or just one way. If I do one way, I am trying to decide morning v afternoon.

If I bring the kids in the morning, DD2 and me could run errands during pre school and pick DD1up at 10:45, and essentially only do one trip to school that day.

if I pick the kids up in the afternoon, I would have to wake DD2(2 yo) from nap, but then I wouldn't have to get all three kids out in the morning. We also live in the country about 15 min. From school, and the roads here in the winter can be baaaaaad, so afternoon would most likely have better roads. Please help me decide!

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd sign my kid up for bussing both directions and plan to drop off or pick up as it is convenient.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How do the bus pick-up and drop-off times for this year compare to last year for your DS?

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    I'd sign my kid up for bussing both directions and plan to drop off or pick up as it is convenient.
    I agree. I think you probably also need to recognize that the bus will arrive to school before school begins and the kids will walk to class and take into account the time it takes to load the bus after school before it heads home. Personally, I would want to avoid the parent pickup line or parent drop-off line and let kids ride the buss on a regular basis.

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kristenk View Post
    How do the bus pick-up and drop-off times for this year compare to last year for your DS?
    That's thing. The morning pick up is about the same; whereas the afternoon drop off is 45 min. later than last year. He used to be the first off the bus, and now he is one of the last off the bus.

we have to pay extra for bussing, and one way is significantly discounted, so that is why I am considering driving one way.

i called the school, though, and they will let me try doing both ways and dropping down to one way if it is too long for him, so I think that is what I am going to do as long as DH agrees.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boltfam View Post
    This year, he is supposed to get on at 7:20 (school starts at 8:10) and be off by 4:13 (school ends at 3:15), so almost an hour each way, which seems really long. I am trying to decide if I want to do both ways or just one way. If I do one way, I am trying to decide morning v afternoon.
    My son is the first on the bus, just about. Gets on at 6:55a. School starts at 7:40. (so same amount of time). He is scheduled home at 3:02p and gets off school at 2:45p (so that seems faster)
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

We carpool in the morning and bus in the afternoon. If I were you I would avoid waking kiddos from naps...at all costs!!!

The bus arrives at 6:55am in the morning and school starts at 8am. In the afternoon the kids are dismissed at 2:25 and arrive home at 3:25. Long day.

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boltfam View Post
    That's thing. The morning pick up is about the same; whereas the afternoon drop off is 45 min. later than last year. He used to be the first off the bus, and now he is one of the last off the bus.

we have to pay extra for bussing, and one way is significantly discounted, so that is why I am considering driving one way.

i called the school, though, and they will let me try doing both ways and dropping down to one way if it is too long for him, so I think that is what I am going to do as long as DH agrees.
    This is what I would do. Try it both ways and see how it works out for you IRL.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

I am a huge fan of the bus. It saves me a lot of running. My kids don't complain.
    Our bus goes up our street and then comes back down. Some kid almost got hit one time when the cars didn't stop for the bus, so now our driver just picks up on the "right" side and comes back for the other side, so that no kids have to cross the street. Sooooo, we would be the first pick-up, but that is at 6:50am. Our driver lets us walk our kids across the street and get the last pick-up around 7:08am. They get up to the school by 7:30 at the latest. School doesn't officially start until 8, but kids are offered breakfast or they do "morning work". Most teachers encourage kids to be there around 7:30 or they miss some of the work.
    My older daughter then continues on the bus to her school (the elementary schools are our bus hubs, so older kids transfer to whichever bus goes to the school they need). So, she has another 20-25 minute ride. The older kids often have mp3 players or tablets, but my kid has never complained about that bus ride either.
    Coming home, my kids are the first dropped off since that works out to the "right" side of the street. Big kid's school lets out at 2:50, little kid at 3:10, they arrive home by 3:40.

I don't pay extra for bus service. My kids don't complain. If hubby can't walk the kids across the street for the bus, I do it in my pajamas. I LOVE the bus. I would HATE to have to get myself dressed and ready as well as putting my 3 year old twins in the car to drive them everyday. Plus, as I mentioned, my big kid's school is 25 minutes away (little kid's is about 5). And when I do have to pick them up for an appointment or something it's such a pain to drag the twins into the schools to get them, etc. We have to go into the school gyms to pick them up for safety reasons.