Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How hard is it to do your own helium balloons?

We are prepping for The Biscuit's birthday on Sunday. We would like to put out balloons to mark the entrance to the parking lot and the pavilion we have rented, as well as just to do some sort of decorations (and then we would give one to each child to take home).

Does it make time or cost sense to do our own helium balloons? My parents and/or our sitter will be able to help us inflate them on site in the hour before the party and we certainly could prep some at home.

The other alternative would be to get balloons from Party City or a similar place. However, our party starts at 11 a.m. and based on prior experience, I think we cannot count on them being ready at, say, 10 a.m., for pickup (and picking up the night before is a problem because some could deflate).

Any experience or thoughts on this? And where would we get a helium tank?

TIA!!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

BJs sells tanks. Biggest problem for me was disposal otherwise it was easy. But then again the tank is still sitting in my garage after 4 years.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I recommend the dollar store if you have one! On a weekend they usually have bunches ready, or you can wait while they fill the ones you want. Usually MYLAR balloons there are only $1. and they last forever! At party city the latex ones are $1 and they only last a few hours.

We have done the helium tank and it's pretty easy - but for the price & hassle - we just go to the dollar store.

We always use the tanks and do our own. Be aware that they don't last long. By the next day, they'll be drooping, so don't blow them up the day before unless you do it at night and the party's in the morning.

The dollar store is a good bet for mylar. I've picked up balloons at our grocery store too in the flower department. They were cheaper than Party City although PC sometimes has coupons on balloons. I looked into helium before and didn't think it would be worth the time because it didn't seem that much cheaper.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our local King Soopers (Kroger) does them in the floral department and they're cheap and fast
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)