flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What do you think of these formula ingredients

This is an organic mainstream UK formula called HIPP. I could get probably two months worth of this free ….however, I am kind of concerned about the straight skim milk? This seems to be very common in all English formulas. DD1 had a milk protein allergy until 15 months and so far I haven't given DD2 any formula except for a few bottles of Alimentum. I need/want to supplement a bit at this stage and my Ped said any regular formula should be fine as she is 6 months and has no problems with my breast milk and I am a dairy eater. But pure milk as the second ingredient? Too risky?

Organic whey (partially demineralised), organic skimmed milk, organic vegetable oils (rapeseed oil, coco- nut oil, palm oil, sunflower oil), organic whey powder (partially demineralised), organic lactose, prebiotic fibres (galacto-oligosaccharides from lactose), emulsifier (soya lecithin), LCP oils (vegetable), sodium citrate, potassium citrate, calcium citrate, vitamin mix *vitamin C, vitamin A, thiamin (vitamin B1), ribo- flavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B6, pantothenic acid, folic acid, niacin, vitamin B12, vitamin D, vitamin E, biotin, vitamin K+, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, calcium phosphate, potassium phosphate, sodium hydrogen carbonate, calcium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, potassium chloride, potassium hydrogen carbonate, copper sulphate, potassium iodide, manganese sulphate, zinc sulphate, iron sul- phate, sodium selenite.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Can you try a ready feed bottle or 2 to see how she does before you get a ton. I don't know much about formula, but I would tend to stick to the more well known "main stream' ones as you are doing.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have problems with the oils used in there as well. Do you have other options with better ingredients?
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Well the organic lactose is a positive. The US organic formula manufacturers have all moved away from using lactose as the sugar, I assume it is more expensive. I think I posted in your other thread about how most of them are using reg sugar or corn syrup now.

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    I have problems with the oils used in there as well. Do you have other options with better ingredients?
    I just don't know what better ingredients are! How does the Alimentum RTF rate? I can get any other English formula, although not free or as convenient. I had a quick look and those oils seem pretty prevalent - what is wrong with them?

Would you say Alimentum or Gerber Good Start Gentle is better or worse?

I probably seem like a nutcase. I really am not, I just like researching and comparing things and find this interesting!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreTheFocus View Post
    Well the organic lactose is a positive. The US organic formula manufacturers have all moved away from using lactose as the sugar, I assume it is more expensive. I think I posted in your other thread about how most of them are using reg sugar or corn syrup now.
    I really don't like the corn syrup….but have been reading that it is different than high fructose corn syrup? This is all so confusing, and I am probably putting way too much thought into it since she is only drinking a bottle every other day or so!

I actually just looked at regular Similac Advance and that doesn't seem to have any corn syrup or maltrodextrin and the first ingredient is non fat milk as well! I guess I had never seen straight milk before since I was always looking at the specialty ones. I think I will just try the baby on regular formula - seems to be much better ingredients than all the sensitive or partial/fully hydrolyzed ones. Would love to do organic, but Earths Best has glucose syrup solids and Similac doesn't - what's more important, organic or no glucose/corn syrup?
    Last edited by flashy09; 08-08-2014 at 01:12 PM.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

No experience but remember seeing this before so maybe it will help?http://foodbabe.com/2013/05/28/how-t...nfant-formula/

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    No experience but remember seeing this before so maybe it will help?http://foodbabe.com/2013/05/28/how-t...nfant-formula/
    Thank you! It's so frustrating - the organics seem to use more corn syrup, maltodextrin, etc than plain Similac Advanced. Not sure which is worse, non organic or all the sweeteners?
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014