Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is it time to intro whole milk/when to stop pumping?

DS is going to be a year old in a little over a week. He nurses anywhere from 5-8 times a day - he's super inconsistent, but at a minimum: after waking up, before the morning nap attempt (he doesn't always fall asleep then), before afternoon nap, before dinner, before bed.

I work a couple of evenings a week and part of Saturday. Right now I pump when I get home and DH uses that milk for the next time I'm away. We have a small amount (maybe 6 bottles' worth?) of frozen milk. I loathe pumping. In fact, I should be pumping right now and I'm procrastinating because I really just. don't. want. to. I do manage to pump the 4-5 ounces he takes in one pumping session, though it takes a good 20-25 minutes (whereas he nurses for 5 minutes, maybe 10.)

I intend to keep nursing for a while longer. DDs both weaned around 2.5, and knowing for sure that DS is our last I'm not in a hurry to wean. But I can't remember if I kept pumping when I missed a feeding or when we switched to whole milk for missed feedings. It's been five long years since DD2 was this age and between sleep deprivation and just plain getting older I can't remember at all what we did!

So is it time to start giving him whole milk? Or should I just keep pumping and giving him expressed milk when I'm gone for a while longer? DH is just getting twitchy about there only being a little frozen milk and I think wants a backup plan.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

You can totally stop pumping. Just nurse when you are around him. How many hours are you separated? You will probably leak at first so be sure to bring some breastpads with you.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I BF'd til DD was 19 months old. I *loved* nursing. I hated every.single.minute of pumping.

At about 9 months, I just couldn't keep up the pumping needed for all the bottles she was getting at daycare. My last pump of the day was 20+ minutes I didn't have, only to get 2+ ounces. I finally called the ped and asked if I should add food or formula to replace the bottle a day I was going to be short - they instantly said food. My life was SO much better when I stopped that session, and even better when I finally stopped pumping all together at close to 12 months.

I wish someone would have told me what I'm about to say. STOP. It will be fine. He will be fine. You will both adjust quickly...and you will be slightly less stressed . All good things.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I stopped pumping when DD was about 9 or 10 months old, though we continued to nurse 'til almost 3 yrs old.

At the time, I was only at the office two days per week, so my frozen stash was more than enough to get through to 12 months old ... and she nursed on the days I was home (we didn't do daycare as DH was unemployed at the time; it didn't work out very well because he wasn't a lot of help when I was home.)

I didn't notice a dip in supply or any leaking once I stopped pumping, but maybe I'm weird.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

It's usually only one bottle - 4-5 hours. So if I miss the bedtime feeding on Tuesday and Thursday I can still nurse at bedtime on the rest of the days?
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
    I wish someone would have told me what I'm about to say. STOP. It will be fine. He will be fine. You will both adjust quickly...and you will be slightly less stressed . All good things.
    I think I needed this. Permission.

Actually, I think we've come up with a plan - it took me a whopping 45 minutes to pump a whole bottle the other night, causing me to go to bed really much later than I should. So I will pump for 10-15 minutes - long enough to alleviate/forestall any discomfort. If that only nets 2 ounces so be it - we'll supplement with whole milk for the rest. (Assuming DS tolerates whole milk - he's had yogurt and cheese and various other things that have milk cooked or baked in them so I can't imagine it will be a problem.) So I won't quite burn the pump (oh, how I hate that thing) but I won't have to cozy up to it for quite so long.
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I didn't notice a dip in supply or any leaking once I stopped pumping, but maybe I'm weird.
    This is good to know. Maybe it will work out this way for me!
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I never leaked or had supply issues. I got to the point when she was almost weaned that I could nurse once a day at bedtime... and could even skip a night. Our bodies are amazing things.

And yeah, weird how we need permission to do what's right for us/our bodies.... but I totally get it!

Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos.
    Last edited by erosenst; 08-16-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post
    It's usually only one bottle - 4-5 hours. So if I miss the bedtime feeding on Tuesday and Thursday I can still nurse at bedtime on the rest of the days?
    You should be totally fine! If he were 6 mo old, my answer would be different, but at 1 you are good to stop pumping. I know several moms who worked full time and stopped pumping around 1, but kept nursing baby well beyond.

I can't believe our babies are turning 1!!!
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I feel like it's the August 2013 expectant mama reunion in this thread!

OP, I had a similar question a couple of weeks ago. I more or less stopped pumping the day after DD2's birthday 2 weeks ago. I occasionally pump a little at work, or at home if I've missed a feeding, just enough to ease discomfort. My body has definitely started adjusting and it's sooo nice not to worry about pumping at work all the time or supply issues. DD2 gets whole milk now at home with meals when I'm not home and water in between meals.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast