Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

At this point, you might want to think about getting a "do not treat" order from her doctor in the nursing home. That basically says that she does not want antibiotics for infections or the flu vaccine or anything. That way, if she gets sick, she can die "naturally". Obviously--it depends. If she heals well and seems to be doing ok, then great. But if not, then I would honestly hope to die of pneumonia or something like that. Good luck to you in your new set of challenges.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elephantmeg View Post
    hugs. I see lots of successful extubations too. It's rough on both sides. While you are still at the hospital and still have palliative care available I would talk extensively to them on how to proceed from here. The ones at our hospital are awesome on finding meds that work to decrease pain and figure out why patients are confused. I would also have a plan in hand on what to do next. How far to go with treating pneumonias etc in the rehab setting. Don't wait until they call, I would have a plan in place first. Will you hospitalize when she ends up with a secondary infection or just do conservative measures. Hugs, hugs, hugs. It's a very hard place to be in
    Agree with this completely. Talk to palliative care. Your mother may qualify for hospice care and that will keep her comfortable and help her die "naturally." I'm so sorry you are going through this.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

I'm so very sorry.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3