Default Constipation? and looking for alternative to Pedia Lax and M.O.M.

My son was seen at our local children's hospital since we have been having trouble with "pooping" on the potty. They did an x-ray which showed moderate to large amounts of stool - so we need to try and deal with that issue. We were told to do one capful of miralax daily and PediaLax tablets or Milk of Magnesia. He tried one tablet and spit it out - did not like the flavor. I was told there is a chocolate flavor, but he does not like chocolate. I tried adding Milk of Magnesia to a drinkable yogurt but he said it did not taste right and would not drink it. Is there any other saline laxative with no flavor that can be added to juice. I will follow-up with the nurse on Monday, but thought I would check here first. I have started looking through all the constipation threads but thought I would just ask this forum.

Thanks . . .
    Melissa
    DS 09/00
    DD 03/03
    DD 08/05
    DS 12/09

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would focus on the Miralax, at least that is what we did.

We would mix it in diluted juice, and he would drink it down, it does take a little while to dissolve particularly in cold fluid, but we had luck with it.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

We used miralax for a bit with DS1 who would withhold when we tried to PT. I read some negative things about what it actually is, however, and that it can possibly be absorbed by some children. That scared me off of trying it again, and I threw out a large bottle of it that was almost full.

We had a terrible time with DS. He was pee trained for a LONG time but would ask for a diaper to poop. We did eventually get him to switch, but it was a long, difficult process. In hindsight, I shouldn't have worried so much about it. I don't think you'll have a 6 year old still using diapers, but there is a chance you'll end up with a chronically constipated 6-year-old if you push them to PT before they are ready.

Rewards finally worked for us. He got some pretty serious rewards for pooping (mostly toys I got at Target's 70% toy sale). He got to go to Build a Bear and Chuck E Cheese too.

I'd try prune babyfood or juice. We told DS it was cherry juice and that he only got it if he finished his dinner so he thought it was a treat. He got excited to drink it and never seemed to put 2 and 2 together when he suddenly needed to poop about 30 minutes after drinking it. He was really good at holding it, but he couldn't wait after drinking that stuff.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11