Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default NO you can wait for my $100 payment

I'm irritated enough that my DS middle school has decided that all entering 6th graders should go to this stupid two day Project Adventure team building thing for TWO DAYS within the first 2 weeks of school. It some stupid obstacle course, team building, rah-rah thing. One day I would put up with. Oh, and they won't be getting back in time for the bus so we have to GO PICK THEM UP. SURE it's optional. If he doesn't go for the 2 days he will have to show up at school, much to the irritation of the teachers expecting to have no students or get marked absent. Yeah, thanks for the offer of aid, but I know I won't qualify, but right now I'm broke and have to pay off some unexpected bills and $100 means forget about take out pizza for the month. My DS will have a good time, he's a sports kid. But my DD will hate it when she gets there, she's afraid of heights and has anxiety. Oh, and it's supposed to be team building. These kids have been together since kindergarten, how is it team building? It's the exact same 5th grade class in a new building for 6th grade. I just feel like someone wants to support this stupid "advancing active learning" company, WTF even is that? So, no, I did not fill out the piece of paper you put in with the rest of the pieces of paper that were sent home last June and due July 1st with a $50 deposit, I can't even find the form. Thanks for the reminder this week with no extra form to fill out. You can just wait until school finally starts next week and I'll give the $100 then.

Ugh! Could you skip it and let him stay home?
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

It seems silly but the kids really do get something out of these experiences and I wouldn't keep him at school where he might be the only kid. I wouldn't count your daughter out either, it might be a great experience for her. Hang in there.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow, that seems like a lot of money! Is this public school?

It seems like a lot to expect for the first couple of days of school.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes it's a public school. I think I could manage if it was one day. Sure some kids get something out of it, but some don't. It's also sort of irritating for someone to tell me that I don't know my kid well enough to know whether they would benefit from it. My DS would like it, but he gets that from other experiences, so a don't see it as a huge plus. My DD would be a wreck for days before, the teachers would think she would have a good time because she would not show how anxious she was, and I would deal with the fall out after.

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd skip it! What a huge liability the school is taking at an event like that. I would not let my kids go.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I'd skip it! What a huge liability the school is taking at an event like that. I would not let my kids go.
    I am a lawyer but don't see a huge liability and am surprised there is such vehement dislike of something intended to be fun and "outside the box" for public school kids. In private school, our kids have all sorts of different experiences, including trips involving obstacle courses. zip lining, rock climbing etc and there isn't this parent push back, and all sorts of kids get something out of it. I guess I would be glad it wasn't just another day with worksheets and teaching to the test as a kick start to the year. Shrug.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I am a lawyer but don't see a huge liability and am surprised there is such vehement dislike of something intended to be fun and "outside the box" for public school kids. In private school, our kids have all sorts of different experiences, including trips involving obstacle courses. zip lining, rock climbing etc and there isn't this parent push back, and all sorts of kids get something out of it. I guess I would be glad it wasn't just another day with worksheets and teaching to the test as a kick start to the year. Shrug.
    I totally agree, but would have difficulty with the cost. I don't think that the school always consider the costs when they are coming up with these experiences. $100 is a lot of money for families to come up with (along with all the other back to school expenses), while it is certainly a wonderful experience, it may not be in the budget for all families...

Default NO you can wait for my $100 payment

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Agree, and I'm surprised too. At my kids' public school the 5th graders go camping for 2 days. $250 per kid. Financial aid is available. It's the highlight of elementary school and EVERY student goes! It would be a big deal not to.
    Green Tea, mom to three

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Wow. I've never heard of a public school doing big overnights like this in elementary school. I know many private schools do this.

I know several kids that age who have never been on or don't do sleepovers.

Our school also has a significant number of students with religious dietary requirements that could be difficult to impossible to accommodate at a traditional camp ground.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast