Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dogmom, I agree with you 100%. I have the kids who tend NOT to benefit from these types of programs. Well run sleep away camps with excellent counselors in a dynamic environment, yup, all over it. Pseudo-psych programs designed to make kids (parents?) feel good, but only tend to make those who are already have social capital feel better and those who don't feel worse. They often end up doing more harm than good. I hate these things as an adult, so I can only imagine for kids.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Dogmom, I agree with you 100%. I have the kids who tend NOT to benefit from these types of programs. Well run sleep away camps with excellent counselors in a dynamic environment, yup, all over it. Pseudo-psych programs designed to make kids (parents?) feel good, but only tend to make those who are already have social capital feel better and those who don't feel worse. They often end up doing more harm than good. I hate these things as an adult, so I can only imagine for kids.
    Dog mom I agree with you and Beth too. I personally can't stand the "team building" touchy feely stuff in the corporate environment and I can see where my ADHD anxious DD would not like it either. Could you keep your son home?

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SummerBaby View Post
    Dog mom I agree with you and Beth too. I personally can't stand the "team building" touchy feely stuff in the corporate environment and I can see where my ADHD anxious DD would not like it either. Could you keep your son home?
    My son will be fine, he will do well. He is actually sort of a jock. I feel obligated to send him because (1) he thinks it sounds fun and (2) he is a the kind of kid that the teachers always say he just gets along with everyone, so I know some of his more awkward friend would like him there. We'll see where my DD is in 3 years when it's her turn.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4