jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Play date menu help please

I'm hosting an end of summer play date for a few of DS1's friends next week. They're arriving at noon for lunch then will stay to play for a while. I'm at a loss about what to serve. I was thinking of ordering pizza for the kids but then I don't know what time to have it arrive. Nicer sandwich tray and salad from a local deli? Something else? I'm planning fruit, cheese and crackers and most likely brownies and ice cream for dessert. Thoughts?? TIA

ETA: it's not drop off - the moms are staying for lunch. I'm hoping the weather will be nice enough yo eat outside.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Sandwiches or something in the crockpot? Frozen pizza that you can just toss it in the oven at the right time. Same with a baked Mac and cheese.

I think pizza would be just fine. No one will mind if it's a few minutes late, and if it comes early you can warm it in the oven. I think pizza is probably the safest choice for kids. Personally, I think the crazy long party subs from subway are fun for parties (you know, the ones that are like 4 feet long and sliced up), but they may not be as big of a hit for that age group of kids. I've been to some kids parties lately that had nice party trays from Chic-fil-A (not sure if you're ok with buying from them or not), and they went over well with both kids and moms. Really, pizza is probably the simplest option. The kids will be to excited about seeing each other to sit down and eat right away anyway, so I wouldn't sweat it if the pizza arrives late.
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11