Default Any runners dealt with hip bursitis

I recently started running again after a long hiatus. I am pretty sure I tried to do "too much, too soon" and was also running with old shoes. I started having a very bad pain the front of my hip that I sometimes feel in the back of my hip as well. Through Dr. Google I've come to the conclusion that this is bursitis. I've been resting for the past few weeks along with taking anti-inflammatories. The pain seems to have mostly gone away (I feel it when carrying dd2 and sleeping on my side) and I went on a very gentle run on Sunday. I felt a little pain in the afternoon but it subsided by the next day. I'd like to start running again but I'm sort of scared that the pain will come back full force. Any suggestions for getting back I track? Do I see an orthopedist or sports rehab person? Are there exercises I can do on my own? There is a lot of information online to the point of it being overwhelming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmommy View Post
    I recently started running again after a long hiatus. I am pretty sure I tried to do "too much, too soon" and was also running with old shoes. I started having a very bad pain the front of my hip that I sometimes feel in the back of my hip as well. Through Dr. Google I've come to the conclusion that this is bursitis. I've been resting for the past few weeks along with taking anti-inflammatories. The pain seems to have mostly gone away (I feel it when carrying dd2 and sleeping on my side) and I went on a very gentle run on Sunday. I felt a little pain in the afternoon but it subsided by the next day. I'd like to start running again but I'm sort of scared that the pain will come back full force. Any suggestions for getting back I track? Do I see an orthopedist or sports rehab person? Are there exercises I can do on my own? There is a lot of information online to the point of it being overwhelming.

"Hip pain" is often a sort of vague complaint because it could mean SI joint pain, tendonitis, all kinds of things. You could have ITB problems, hip flexor tendonitis, any number of issues, so I would not self diagnose with bursitis.

You could see an orthopedist but I don't think it is necessary to go that route right away. I personally would ask for a referral or script (if necessary for your insurance) to a sports medicine PT. They can get you a proper diagnosis and exercises that are appropriate to your diagnosis. IME, a regular PCP rarely does a proper eval and diagnosis, so I would not be content with what they have to say.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into a sports medicine person. Yes, my concern with going to my primary care doc is that she would prescribe stronger pain reliever and tell me to rest, not really get to the root of the problem.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes to sports med. I have a similar sounding pain that I have had for the last 8 months. I'm fairly sure it's bursitis that is triggered my something else. I started going to a PT in April (after going to my GP who referred me to PT) and she was able to do some type of electronic stimulation and some type of steroid pad on it to get the inflammation down. She thinks I have something going on (most likely a moving tendon) that is causing the bursitis. She sent me to our local ortho just to get x-rays/MRI since it wasn't getting better and he said there's nothing wrong. I don't really trust him because he's not specialized and we live out in the middle of no where. I talked to my PT again because the pain is back and she gave me the name of a Sports med guy about an hour away in a bigger city. I think mine will end in surgery, but hopefully if you get it checked out now yours won't!

MSWR0319 - just wondering if you've continued to run or exercise through all this? Have you found some kind of physical activity that doesn't trigger the pain? I have an appt for next week to get checked out and get x-rays and referral to sports med. I'm going crazy in the meantime not exercising. I was getting in really good shape and it kills me to abandon the progress I've made. I understand swimming is a good workout if you have pain but I'm not much of a swimmer. Would love to hear if you've found something that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmommy View Post
    MSWR0319 - just wondering if you've continued to run or exercise through all this? Have you found some kind of physical activity that doesn't trigger the pain? I have an appt for next week to get checked out and get x-rays and referral to sports med. I'm going crazy in the meantime not exercising. I was getting in really good shape and it kills me to abandon the progress I've made. I understand swimming is a good workout if you have pain but I'm not much of a swimmer. Would love to hear if you've found something that works for you.

I can't do much of anything. It hurts to get up from a sitting position and then gets better after I've been standing awhile. But since my tendon that is supporting my hip keeps moving, I lose stability and about fall every time it happens, which is usually while running or walking. This is more the reason I can't do much. The PT with the electronic stimulation really helped get rid of the inflammation, and I was able to run again pain free, but it came back after awhile because we obviously didn't fix the cause of the bursitis for me. I did try swimming but for some reason my hip ached while in the water. I don't know if it was the temp or what. I see the sport med dr next week so we'll find out what he says!

I have been battling hip pain since February when I tried to race a 5K fast to see if I could get my pace down. I started PT in April. They have focused on strengthening my hips and core. I definitely feel better after I do the workouts. I can now run 3 10 minute laps around the park--in the grass, with 3 min walks in between. I have still raced my triathlons every month. My hip hurts at the end but is ok. I have been swimming and biking without pain. Sitting causes pain and running. I am now going to focus for a month on doing the hip work outs. If that doesn't fix it, I am seeing the ortho for an MRI and maybe an injection. I think swimming feels the best actually.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

OP, did you ever get any better??

Just thought about you, as I'm starting PT again for mine. The ortho diagnosed it as bursitis caused by two different tendons rolling over my hip bones. Sent me back to PT. She thinks there's more to it than that (and I agree) and that I'll end up in surgery, but at least my hip with be stinger than it was before. What a mess!!