Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Next step in redefining my health--want to build muscle

Thanks to BBB users' posts, I'm on Week 8 of C25K (yay!) and Week 9 of 5:2. Now I want to increase muscle to make me a stronger runner and person, and increase metabolic calorie burn rate. After C25K I think I should do the Drop Two Sizes program, but want to do this at home. Thinking to get the DVD set as I could more easily follow the exercises rather than keep referring back to the book, and substitute the metabolic workouts with jogging/running. I'd like to stay with 5:2 instead of follow Rachel Cosgrove's meal plans. ETA: I'm now thinking of getting the Bodypump set instead, as it looks simpler to do at home with just the barbell and free weights. Still get a foam roller for self-massage?

Pastrygirl, if you're reading this, I PM'd you already .
    Last edited by div_0305; 08-19-2014 at 05:48 PM.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just seeing this, and replied!! I'm completely biased, given the results I got from D2S (went down 3 sizes). I'm not sure about Bodypump...but I knew I didn't want to do a gimicky program like Insanity. I wanted a lifestyle change and looked for reputable sources in the weighlifting world (as the Cosgroves are).

I love, love, love foam rolling!!!

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I suppose i should know this but....what is foam rolling?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I *love* Body Pump. I feel like it is rally fast and easy to pick up. But, I think it is wise to meet a trainer for a quick review of the moves. Incorrect form = injuries. When I started, I always stood with a mirror to my side and in front in class so I could make sure I was doing things right (knees weren't going over toes for squats, for example). This was a nice addition to my exercise program. I love that you learn the choreography and then can practically turn your brain off. I'm partial to choreography and music too so it just worked for me.

Btw, you can watch Body Pump videos on YouTube.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    Just seeing this, and replied!! I'm completely biased, given the results I got from D2S (went down 3 sizes). I'm not sure about Bodypump...but I knew I didn't want to do a gimicky program like Insanity. I wanted a lifestyle change and looked for reputable sources in the weighlifting world (as the Cosgroves are).

I love, love, love foam rolling!!!
    Ok..what's D2S. I need to build muscle too.

Drop 2 Sizes.

I checked the book out of the library. I am not a fitness from a book type person though, it seems. From this and other books. It was a good book and very easy to follow. I just prefer classes. I don't want to have to refer to a list or look up pictures and technique. And, the diet looked easy to follow but I have never been able or interested in doing that either.

Thanks all! I think I'm leaning to doing D2S since they have a DVD and the cost is negligible next to the cost of BodyPump, which I could imagine getting monotonous since I won't be getting all the new songs/choreography in a class. Also, I've been reading about muscle strength vs. endurance and think D2S is more likely to work on both. But maybe I'll include Bodypump down the road. It looks great, too. To the person asking about foam rolling--it's a self-massage thing that D2S includes in every warm up. You use a foam roller to self massage out muscle knots and increase flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Btw, you can watch Body Pump videos on YouTube.
    Cool! I searched quickly yesterday but only saw promo videos. Will dig deeper...

Like I said, you don't have to buy Bodypump. Just watch some of the instructor assessment classes online. I found a great one just the other day.

I didn't know D2S had DVDs. That's good to know. I would be far more likely to do it.

I got toned with Body Pump. I also kept increasing my weight and got strong too. Like I said, not body building strong (like my max on squats was 60lbs because more than that would be hard to get on my shoulders and hard to do for 5-6 minutes ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast