Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Class assignments....update....we got the sub : (

Ugh! Dd is going into 1st and we haven't received her class assignment yet for the year (school starts the 26th). I wasn't really sweating it too much because all the 1st grade teachers in our school are supposed to be great. I was actually more worried about her having a friend or 2 in the class....not who the teacher is. Well today I find out (from a friend with the inside scoop)that one of the teachers who was out on disability last year with a health issue will start the year with a sub. And our cheap district doesn't like to pay 1 sub (because they will have to pay benefits) so they split it with 2 ...and I guess they really botched it last year and subs were floating in and out with no consistency!! And another friend of ours has already emailed the principal requesting their child NOT be placed in this class (they had a really good chance of getting her because a sibling had her) .....this ticks me off 1) because you aren't supposed to request and 2) this is stacking the deck so my dd is more likely to get this teacher....ugh...and I wasn't stressed about this before....
    Last edited by scrooks; 08-19-2014 at 04:01 PM.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm sorry! That stinks. I hope she gets a great assignment and friends in her class. Our local school teacher assignments come out only a couple days before school starts.
    K

Oy... What a pita!
    DS1 got his 2nd grade assignment yesterday, and so far on the 1st grade class email chain, no. one. else. has the same teacher he does! Argh....
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

DD's class is the first in her school to have 2 classes per grade. From first grade on, she has gotten "the new teacher". So far, her first and third grade teachers have not been good or great. Her second grade teacher was awesome. And again--she has the new teacher for 4th grade. I really feel like the parents in the "in clique" get the proven teacher while the rest of us don't. I will see how this goes--but I am seriously considering changing schools just based on not-so-great assignments alone!! (we are currently at a private school)
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I'm always shocked by these things... DD's old school had teacher assignments done in *April*. We'd get the re-register paperwork for the upcoming year, and it would be labeled with the teacher's name on that.

At DD's current school, we don't have assignments yet. We start in 2 weeks. (Admittedly, we've known DD's teacher for many months, but that's because DH is a teacher, and selects DD's teacher each year).

Sorry that the school is having a heck of a time filling the position with an appropriate replacement! That would drive me nuts too! Fingers crossed that it turns out better than expected, hopefully by dodging that class!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I hate not knowing. We should get assignments on Friday for a Sept 2 start. There are 6 classes per grade and it's always so stressful waiting to hear which kids have friends in their class and which don't. DD had none from kindergarten in her 1st, so for 2nd I put in a request with 8 names and asked if at least one could be in her class. That worked out. I didn't do that for 3rd figuring she has many more friends after 3 years, but I'm regretting it a bit now!
    Kris

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the commiseration .....I am hoping we get the letter by Tuesday. Sigh..... There are 4 teachers so playing the odds, she is likely to get someone else but I don't know how many people "in the loop" requested not to have this teacher. And the sad thing is, apparently she is a great teacher I just don't want to deal with ongoing health issues and her in and out all year. This transition will be stressful enough since our k was only 1/2 day....this is going to be Dd's first year of all day school!

I can't imagine getting her class assignment in April. Apparently in our district they get tons of late enrollment and actually had to add a first grade teacher in the last week before school started last year.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ugh! Two yrs in a row, my oldest D's started out the yr with a long term sub. It sucked, and I'm still upset that he got the short end of the stick, two yrs in a row. I really hope that your dd doesn't get that teacher.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I hope it works out okay. Please update when you find out.

At the school I teach at we plan out classes in May. However we do not tell parents or students who their new teacher is due to last minute changes with enrollment. We always announce the new classes the first day of school. This year even us teachers did not get our class roster until the first day of school. My kindergarten class only had 10 students the week before school, but by the first day was full at 24 students. It was crazy!!!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We don't get our classroom assignments until the Thursday before school starts on the Tuesday after Labor Day. I know they do it deliberately to keep the parent requests to a minimum.

FWIW, younger DD got placed into a class last year with none of her close friends from K. The teacher was awesome and she did great. Sometimes I think it's actually better when they are not in the classroom with their best friends.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast