Default At what age did your baby start to hold his/her own bottle?

DS is 7 months old and is mostly bottle fed at this point. He still doesn't know how to hold his own bottle in a useful way. He will put one hand on it (or even 2) but he doesn't know how to hold it up at the proper angle and it drops out of his hands quickly. DH thinks it's because an 8oz. bottle is too heavy for him. He does seem to hold a 4oz bottle pretty well, but he rarely is given those.

When did your DC start to hold their own bottle?

Thanks!
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Neither of my kids held their own bottle ever. And they were formula fed after six months.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    Neither of my kids held their own bottle ever. And they were formula fed after six months.
    Ds1 barely every held his own bottle. Around 10-11 months he would sometimes hold it while laying down. He never held it while sitting up, and to this day at 3.5 he can't really drink out of a sippy cup that needs to be tilted. Ds2 started getting bottles around 7-8 months, and I think he learned to hold it by 10-11 months, but usually laying down.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amom526 View Post
    Ds1 barely every held his own bottle. Around 10-11 months he would sometimes hold it while laying down. He never held it while sitting up, and to this day at 3.5 he can't really drink out of a sippy cup that needs to be tilted. Ds2 started getting bottles around 7-8 months, and I think he learned to hold it by 10-11 months, but usually laying down.
    Yeah, my kids didn't do well with traditional sippy cups either. I held their bottle until they were old enough to do straw cups. DD would try to hold her bottle, but wouldn't lean back far enough to get the milk into the nipple.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Huh, so it's not just my kid. My friend has 4 kids and all of them held their own bottles by around 6 months! She thought it was strange that DS didn't, so I figured I would post and ask. Interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Only my DS got bottles, and he never held his own. He could hold his own sippies, though, by 9 months or so.
    Last edited by Green_Tea; 08-21-2014 at 07:47 PM.
    Green Tea, mom to three

DS1 could hold his 4oz bottle at 9 months after switching to formula from breast milk. But now DS2 could hold his 4oz formula bottle easily, but only if I hold him laying back in my arms and he's almost 8 mos now. 8oz I would have to hold it for him though !
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

DS is 6 months and can mostly hold his own (4-5 oz) bottles if he is reclined. He can't get the last little bit out, but can do well down to about the last half ounce. He started daycare this week, before that he rarely got more than 1 bottle a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD could hold her 4oz bottles around 5.5-6 months if she was in a reclined position. However, I really always wanted her held and her bottles held for her, so she didn't do it too much (I BF'ed and never personally gave her a bottle, but she was in daycare and DH would sometimes feed her).
    Lizi

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-days-old.html

Literally just read this article!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014