niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Does OTR microwave have to match the range?

I've decided on a new range - kitchenaid electric double oven - local appliance store has discount on it. We need an OTR microwave too. The kitchenaid one that matches is $450, other brands are cheaper for about $300. I don't like OTR microwaves and when we ever redo the kitchen, maybe a few years away, I would try for a fan above range and put the microwave somewhere else. So leaning towards a different OTR microwave for now. Currently our countertop model gets used for reheating food.

We're replacing a built in range + overhead microwave (that doesn't work) that's about 20 years old.

Thanks

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I don't think so. Other than them all being white, none of our appliances match. Different brands for everything. If you were fixing it to sell, maybe they should match, but to live with? No.
    Kris

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't think it has to match in brand as long as it matches in overall style. And if you know you are going to replace it, I would put as little money in it as possible.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

We would get same finish, both in stainless - yes the handles and the texture will be different..but really, is it that big a deal? Even for resale?

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It wouldn't be a big deal to me if they are the same finish and have a similar style. Just look at them side by side if you can to make sure they look complimentary or coordinated or whatever. Sometimes if you see them across the room from each other (in the store) they look close, but together the differences stand out more.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Yes, as long as the finishes are the same.

I even had a different color for a while. The OTR micro went out about a year before we were redoing our kitchen. I knew we were keeping it there and changing appliance color, so I had a black micro and white range for almost two years. I thought it would drive me batty but I didn't even notice after the first week.

Thanks everyone. So after reading a review about the kitchen aid oven not heating evenly in tests, I'm still looking. I'll figure out the range than the OTR.

Why is it so difficult to get something that is good and reliable?!