Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just got back from a two week trip across country to parents and left DH home. Been doing it for 13 yrs. he refuses to plan time from our biz to go. I wanna see my family and go to the beach (I like Atlantic Ocean!)

Hit the road and Have fun!!!
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I took my 2 on a 9 hour road trip sans dh this spring. Honestly? It was lovely. I love dh but it was so nice to be the only one calling the shots and planning the schedule. We did all sorts of things dh would have grumbled about. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    This is us except since my DC are still fairly young (6 and 4) I recruit one of my siblings or my mom to join us. DH has a very different travel style from DC and I. DH has very little vacation time and I'm a SAHM. I see lots of traveling just the three of us as my DC grow.
    Last edited by jgenie; 08-24-2014 at 06:55 AM.

We have reversed roles so DH and DD spent a month in Costa Rica with his family this summer and I joined for 10 days in middle when work permitted. They had a blast I had some productive work time and some very relaxing weekends. Great all the way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I fly or drive with the kids to visit family all the time, and more often than not that includes a mini hotel vacation on the side, and I've also done a few weekends with another family without DH. One time we did a European vacation with my family and dh joined at the end.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bigsis View Post
    I will be the voice of dissent, vacationing without my DH is a no-go for me.
    This is how I feel too.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

I took DS (5 months then) on a 2 week trip a few week ago to visit my parents and then DH's parents. We had a great time and will do it again! We will always do a one week family vacation and one or two long weekend trips per year, but that is all the vacation time DH gets. I get a month at Christmas, 3 months in the summer, a week for spring break, etc. and I get very antsy being home that much. It is much better for our sanity this way! Last year I went with my parents to the beach for 2 weeks and DH flew down for the long weekend in the middle which worked very well and is something we will likely do again. DH also occasionally does a long weekend by himself to visit his two best friends in another state.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I wouldn't want to because my kids are still little and it really takes both of us to corral them at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are already doing one this fall to visit my brother. DH cannot take off during this time, but at least one of my parents are coming with us. I was honestly surprised when DH said something about it being great as long as my mom or dad went with us, but was worried otherwise. It is a 12+ hour drive, but I was still surprised by his statement. I was trying to decide if I was willing to do it solo or not. The fact that we were going to my brother's home and would have all that help at the end was swaying me to saying yes.

When I think about it, I have taken the kids on other weekends to visit college friends or the lake with just me. Even this summer I did things locally by myself that others would not - day trips 90 minutes away, water parks, amusement parks. Just my nature to want to avoid crowds and do these things on weekdays when we could.

DH also take the kids on camping trips two or three times a year without me (I don't do tents). I do love those weekends of peace in my own house with just myself or only one kid instead of three.

Since I am a SAHM, I see DH having all this alone time, but he's at an office. He doesn't have small people climbing on him, but he does have constant demands. I'm sure he'd appreciate some quiet times in the house by himself also.

And yes, we have completely different travel styles. Or more accurately expectations of traveling with kids. If just DH and I travel we mesh fine with sleeping in and moving at a similar pace. DH has trouble adjusting to following the kid clues about when to stop and just accepting that you are not sleeping in when in a hotel room.

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We do this all the time. I am a teacher and DH is a physician with very little time off. I have taken the kids to Disney. They were younger then so I brought a cousin and paid her expenses just to have another adult. I also traveled in Europe and DH met us for part of it. I regularly go away for weekends and visit family w/o DH. I recently did a 2 week vacation with DH and it made me sad that that was the first time and it is such a rarity, but the reality is that unless my kids and I travel w/o DH we will be very limited.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2