Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Behr paint vs. Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore?

How does Behr interior paint compare to Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore? I have used Behr in the past but rarely see it mentioned here in pain color threads; SW and BM colors are often mentioned. Wondering if I should go with SW or BM for DD1's room instead of Behr like I had planned.
    Last edited by TwoBees; 08-28-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I've used Behr and Sherwin Williams and I like both. I have no problems with Behr at all. I did not like Valspar as much and I've not tried Benjamin Moore.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I dislike Valspar and Behr. Both haven't cleaned well and do not have good coverage, in my opinion. (Although, both times I have used them I was covering bright or dark colors.)

We will only use Sherwin Williams from this point on. Best coverage and cleans well.

I loved Behr paint. See the Consumer Reports reviews.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boilermakermom View Post
    I dislike Valspar and Behr. Both haven't cleaned well and do not have good coverage, in my opinion. (Although, both times I have used them I was covering bright or dark colors.)

We will only use Sherwin Williams from this point on. Best coverage and cleans well.
    Our painter used Sherwin Williams when we built our house 5 years ago. We have finished the basement in the last two years and he told us he now uses ACE Hardware paint because it's much cheaper and actually just as good/if not better quality than Sherwin Williams. I thought that was interesting.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Another Behr lover here too. We've used it in every room from red to sage to yellow to pink (hello kitty theme anyone?) to lavender to blue and finally to taupe. Never had a problem with coverage (pink went on over yellow) and some of our walls were painted 9yr ago and still look great.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We use Sherwin Williams Duration Home because it can be easily wiped. As in, my then-3yo covered the wall in Sharpie, and it wiped right off with a wet rag.

When we first started painting rooms (pre-kids), we used Behr and now there are permanent greasy(?) handprints and other marks from when the boys were little.

We had our last house professionally painted inside and out with Sherwin Williams and I wasn't happy with its durability or ease of cleaning. Our new house needs to be repainted inside and out and we are doing it ourselves and using Behr. So far happier with it than SW and it's super easy to use and looks great even applied by novices like us. We are using the primer plus paint. For us the price and convenience of picking up the samples while we are buying other things at Home Depot was also a factor. The blue in DS room went on great and is super bright. Finally chose a shade of lavender for DD and can't wait to see it go on. If you find a color you like but want to switch brands I think you can have most any shade made by a competitor too.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Behr has held up really well in our house, but I hated painting with it, it didn't go on smooth at all. We much prefer Dunn Edwards or Sherwin Williams. Dunn Edwards is only available in the Southwest and Most of California though. You get AAA discounts with both Dunn Edwards and Sherwin Williams. I have never seen the need to pay more for Benjamin Moore when I can get two other excellent brands.

We have used Valspar primer though and have been happy with it.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

llama8 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Behr was a nightmare to pain with. You had to use so much paint to get it to look as good as one coat of Benjamin Moore. Benjamin Moore is the best and it is the only brand professional painters use. After using Behr once, I swore I would only buy Benjamin Moore.
    DD 11/09
    DD 06/11

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast