• we have a programmable slow cooker

23 51.11%
  • we used to have slow cooker, but don't anymore, and we don't miss it

0 0%
  • greasy spoon

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default how often do you use your slow cooker?

I am a wohm and use mine about 2-3 times a month from about September to May and then very sporadically throughout the summer. I wish I used it more, but the variety of recipes that take more than 8-9 hrs. to cook is pretty limited in my experience and it has been limited to soups and chili, things I have zero interest in eating in the summer. Oh and probably a huge crutch for me is that I don't like pot roast or stew, which I know are slow cooker staples. Also other than soups or chili a lot of the meat recipes I have made my kids aren't huge fans of.

poll coming
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I've used a slow cooker maybe four times. We don't eat meat other than poultry and seafood, and we are not fans of chili. I tried different chicken recipes, and they were all epic failures. In all the chicken was dry and disgusting. In one dish the "sauce" had burnt to the pot. In another the sauce was so watered down as to be flavorless. After creating those inedible meals, I gave up. I'm sure if I found a good recipe and played with the timing, I'd figure it out, but it makes me crazy to waste time and food on trials like that. It's a shame, because I REALLY want to master the slow cooker!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    ......It's a shame, because I REALLY want to master the slow cooker!
    plus it is one of those silly BBB fails that brings me lots of mommy guilt and I know it shouldn't I will say though that I have had better success since switching to my smaller 4qt. machine. I was really intrigued about the Hamilton Beach 3n1 with the meat thermometer as well, but since I rarely use my slow cooker on the weekends I would never have a use for it because I am never home in the middle of the day.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-29-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am a single WOHM mom and use mine at a minimum twice a week. Throw in frozen chicken breasts some marinade, set for 8 hours on low and I am good to go.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Instant pot at least 2-3x a week. It stays out in our small kitchen. Taco filling happens in it a lot. Sweet potatoes, baked apples. Beets, ribs, any reduced price tasty meats can go in quickly and be done in minutes in the instant pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I didn't vote on frequency because we use it maybe 2x a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. Days like today I have something going in it even though I'm making a different dish for dinner. That way we end up with things to reheat other nights or to stash in the freezer. I had an older style crockpot for years, and everything had that off taste that the crockpot can sometimes lend. My newer one (Crockpot from Costco) is so much better in comparison. eta: fixed brand, for some reason I typed Cuisinart brand originally. It just has high, low, and keep warm, and then a timer.

We did a LC chocolate cake in it maybe 2 weeks ago? http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/201...late-cake.html

When I am cooking extra to stock the freezer, I usually put something in it and let that go while I am prepping other dishes. For me that's an easy way to free up oven and range space for other meal prep. We also use the crockpot when kid activities ramp up more and tie up our evenings.

In the fall I do the brined turkey breast from Wegman's in there pretty often with a bunch of root veggies. Right now I have chicken breasts and salsa in it.
    Last edited by brittone2; 08-29-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

The things we cook most often in the crock pot are pot roast and pulled pork, and we do occasionally throw some frozen chicken breasts or tenderloins in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We use ours about once a week or once every other week. Especially during the school year. I usually try to have something going in the slow cooker on the days DD1 has dance class so that if I'm there, there's still food DH can easily feed DS & DD2, and I haven't been rushing to get it together before getting her to dance at 5:00. During the summer, I haven't used it as often, but today, we have chicken breasts cooking in salsa waiting at home. Woo!

I work outside the home, and use a plain jane non-programmable three setting cooker.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

In the fall, 2-3 x per month.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I work from home and have a programmable slow cooker that I use 1-2 times/month. I find I have to be MORE organized to use it, than to cook closer to dinnertime. First, I have to make sure I already have the ingredients first thing in the morning, which means shopping the day before (or even earlier). Second, I need to have enough time to throw everything together; this is worse if I have to brown the meat/sausage/etc.

I try to use it on days when we won't be home until 6:30 or later. But usually, I try to have leftovers on those days instead of worrying about getting the slow cooker going in the morning.

I don't do cream-of-xyz slow cooker recipes. Those would be easy and require little thought/prep!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast