Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I stopped by a Sherwin Williams store today on my way home from work and I was really impressed by the color selection and the helpfulness of the salesperson. I feel like I rarely get help like that at Home Depot. SW is much more expensive than Behr, but the current 30% sale makes the price a bit more palatable. I think I will give it a try. I haven't had horrible experiences with Behr but I also haven't been thrilled with the outcome any time I have used that, although that could very well be user error/poor technique.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcitedMamma View Post
    The VOC comment reminded me OP since you are doing a child's room when I looked into wall decals it was not recommended to use on low VOC walls. For that reason I decided instead on a regular paint.
    Thanks for mentioning this! After speaking with the SW salesperson I was planning to use the low-VOC paint. I need to do more research on this now...
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We've generally had great luck with Behr (though the Home Depot staff is largely useless). We did use Benjamin Moore when we painted our living room a deep red. We did a lot of samples, since we really didn't want to mess that one up; None of the Behr reds we sampled came close to the color quality or coverage we needed.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    We use Sherwin Williams Duration Home because it can be easily wiped. As in, my then-3yo covered the wall in Sharpie, and it wiped right off with a wet rag.
    W.O.W!! I need that kind of paint!

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ExcitedMamma View Post
    The VOC comment reminded me OP since you are doing a child's room when I looked into wall decals it was not recommended to use on low VOC walls. For that reason I decided instead on a regular paint.
    Google is telling me this is true. The SW Emerald paint is advertised as low VOC. Any idea if the Duration paint is low VOC as well? While it is going in a child's room, I would like to add decals later if DD1 wants, so I'm going to avoid low VOC paint.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    Google is telling me this is true. The SW Emerald paint is advertised as low VOC. Any idea if the Duration paint is low VOC as well? While it is going in a child's room, I would like to add decals later if DD1 wants, so I'm going to avoid low VOC paint.
    I'm not sure if Duration Home is low-VOC, but I had absolutely no problems with decals sticking...until the kids started moving them around and peeling them all day long. I put them on several months after painting, though. They were an afterthought, not a planned part of the decor. The ones in the nursery were not played with, and came off easily after 4+ years.

Maybe it wasn't low-VOC after all. I thought it was, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    I stopped by a Sherwin Williams store today on my way home from work and I was really impressed by the color selection and the helpfulness of the salesperson. I feel like I rarely get help like that at Home Depot. SW is much more expensive than Behr, but the current 30% sale makes the price a bit more palatable. I think I will give it a try. I haven't had horrible experiences with Behr but I also haven't been thrilled with the outcome any time I have used that, although that could very well be user error/poor technique.

Thanks for mentioning this! After speaking with the SW salesperson I was planning to use the low-VOC paint. I need to do more research on this now...
    The SW website has a $10 off coupon that you can use on top of sale prices. Potterybarnkids also has a $15 off $75 I think. It is a one time use coupon.

We used SW Harmony in the 2 rooms we had painted. It took 3 coats but it turned out great. I think we did satin. I don't really like the look of flat.

I believe that if you don't need to do zero voc, Duration is supposed to be really good.

Also, we used Behr low voc to paint a room in the house we are selling and it went on really well, even on textured walls. It also smelled less than the Harmony.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just subbing as we are getting ready to paint an entire house. I have NEVER needed to paint so this is definitely a learning experience. I have a TON of colors that I like from BM but now I am off to Pinterest to find comparable colors in SW. I like the idea of the Duration line with its "wipeability".
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

The company I contacted to order the decals that warned me about the issue with not sticking to low VOC walls did mention I could use modge pod. No idea what that could do to the walls though. Maybe have the color you like mixed by a competitor in non-VOC? I love decals and change up the kids rooms often so that's why I decided against the low VOC even though I would have preferred it for less chemicals. We are just going to continue painting and airing out the rooms until the smell is gone before moving the kids in. I'm sure it does nothing to help with the chemicals but Behr also offers scent mix ins with glade so I added lavender to DDs paint so hopefully it will smell better than paint! Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3