Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My local BM store is far more knowledgeable when I have questions. My local SW is mostly staffed by young 20 somethings who can mix paint, but who aren't particularly helpful beyond standard questions. I am sure this is very much a YMMV situation, but our BM store is so, so helpful.

We have used a lot of BM and some SW in the past. A lot of my current house is painted in BM's Aura line.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
    .......Benjamin Moore is the best and it is the only brand professional painters use. After using Behr once, I swore I would only buy Benjamin Moore.
    Not necessarily true or it is completely regional because there are plenty of other reputable paint brands out there only available to the professionals or only available at stand alone stores, just not BM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Not necessarily true or it is completely regional because there are plenty of other reputable paint brands out there only available to the professionals or only available at stand alone stores, just not BM.
    Agree. Our last painter said he only used SW but he let clients buy their own paint if they preferred. One bought Behr for the painter to use and the painter is now a convert. He touted quality and lower price.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In our first house, where we did all the painting ourselves, we used only Behr or Ralph Lauren paint from Home Depot. Never had a problem. Our current house is all Sherwin Williams. We have used 4 different painters for different areas, and all have used Sherwin Williams. Not sure why this is. I can't tell a difference.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We just finished building our house and received quotes from several professional painters. All of them but one used Sherwin Williams and strongly recommended we use that. The other painter used European Fine Paints, but he also wanted $90K to paint our 3,000 sq ft house We chose one of the painters who wanted to use SW, but we asked him to use Benjamin Moore because our designer strongly preferred their colors. I'm aware that SW could have color matched to get BM colors, but I didn't have enough time or energy to deal with "off" matches and really, between SW and BM I really didn't care.

As an aside, my designer had them paint all of the walls in flat paint. Big mistake. We just moved in and after scuffing up the walls and getting dirty kid handprints all over, I found my tried-and-true Mr. Clean magic eraser makes a disaster out of flat painted walls. I should have gone with a satin finish.

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3isEnough View Post
    We just finished building our house and received quotes from several professional painters. All of them but one used Sherwin Williams and strongly recommended we use that. The other painter used European Fine Paints, but he also wanted $90K to paint our 3,000 sq ft house We chose one of the painters who wanted to use SW, but we asked him to use Benjamin Moore because our designer strongly preferred their colors. I'm aware that SW could have color matched to get BM colors, but I didn't have enough time or energy to deal with "off" matches and really, between SW and BM I really didn't care.

As an aside, my designer had them paint all of the walls in flat paint. Big mistake. We just moved in and after scuffing up the walls and getting dirty kid handprints all over, I found my tried-and-true Mr. Clean magic eraser makes a disaster out of flat painted walls. I should have gone with a satin finish.
    The cleaning issue is the reason we do most things in eggshell, but we have done all kitchens, bathrooms and halls in satin.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

The professional painters that we've used liked Sherwin Williams. I think those 3 brands may all have some good paint and some less-than-good lines though. The Benjamin Moore paint in DS1's room is horrible compared to the Sherwin Williams in DS2's room. It didn't cover well and comes off if you wipe it and gets dirty easily etc. It was the low or no VOC though, and that may make a difference. The paint/stain that we got from SW for the playset is HORRIBLE though. It wouldn't cover. The second coat wouldn't stick, and it started peeling off one year later.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We only use Sherwin Williams. We tried Behr and hated it. I do have to admit I have done very little of the painting that has happened in our house in the past 7 years due to being pregnant so much....so my dh and my ILs have done much of it (they are sooo awesome) and that it part of the reason that we use Sherwin Willams ... It's what they like to paint with. If someone is willing to paint for me....I get the type of paint they request....no questions asked!

Eta at I usually get their more expensive paint but since it's so $$$ we generally only get it when there is a 30 or 40% off sale.
    Last edited by scrooks; 08-28-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

We've used Behr and SW and I like both. While it's different than PPs experience I like the service better at my SW store. They keep track of everything you've purchased and tinted and are happy to answer questions. You can also buy the paint and bring it back when you've decided on color. I did that when we bought our house because I wasn't sure how many gallons I'd need for which rooms and they were running their 40% off sale. I still have one gallon of untinted paint that I need to decide what to paint with.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

The VOC comment reminded me OP since you are doing a child's room when I looked into wall decals it was not recommended to use on low VOC walls. For that reason I decided instead on a regular paint.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast