Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default explaining birds & the bees to a 4yo?

DS has been asking questions about babies and DH & I are at a loss to answer. The kid is so sharp, and asks a zillion questions so just being vague doesn't cut it. Need a good book recommendation or something (non-religious...the more scientific the better..but at the same time I don't want to gross the kid out or have him blabbing to his teachers/friends at school).

DS has started talking a lot about babies ( saying he wants me to have another baby, that he wants a baby sister...um, eek). We have discussed with him how babies grow in their mommy's tummy, and then they are born...but now he has been asking "But how does it get inside the mommy's tummy? How does it start??" LOL. Well tonite DH said something like "The mommy gets a seed from the daddy and that seed goes with the mommy's egg and that grows into a baby' but then DS asked "But HOW does that seed get inside the Mommy? HOW???" Um, I am stumped....

Any suggestions welcome!! Book recs would be great...

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I was pleased with "It's Not The Stork"
    http://www.amazon.com/Its-Not-Stork-...+not+the+stork

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Try "Mommy and Daddy get very close and give each other a special hug that only Mommies and Daddies do"?

That's what I told DS2 who then said "Oh, so you and Daddy did that three times?"
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My friend told her son that it's actually quite complicated and it doesn't always work. Her son responded by shaking his fist three times and saying Yeah, Daddy is awesome. He did it 3 times!
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

boogiemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    My friend told her son that it's actually quite complicated and it doesn't always work. Her son responded by shaking his fist three times and saying Yeah, Daddy is awesome. He did it 3 times!
    I am cracking up! Thanks! I needed that today.
    Tani

DS1 - 8/01
    DS2 - 4/05

I was pregnant with twins when my older two started asking a LOT of questions. We read "It's Not The Stork" and "It's So Amazing." My kids were probably 4 and 7? Once I got into the specifics, they lost interest in that part. They were not grossed out, it was just way more interesting to talk about the babies eating and pooping inside me. Honestly, it was so much easier than I expected. I just told them that they shouldn't talk about it with their friends because their mommies and daddies would want to tell them that stuff. I don't think it was ever a problem and they sort of forgot about it over time. I had to have the the talk again with my older daughter in the last year or so (she's 11 now) and I reminded her of what we had talked about before and she remembered most of it. Of course, now we added stuff like diseases and being pregnant so young, etc.
    Anyway, I think we all make a bigger deal out of it than we need to and it was actually sooooo much easier giving the facts to a young kid than waiting until it's "gross" or too late (friends tell them).
    However, now that I have a 3 year old boy that is always playing with his penis and he has a twin sister, I may have to rethink it! Lol!

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When ds1 was that age I told him about sperm and "the great sperm race" to get to the egg, where only one wins. There are good animated you tube videos showing this.

When asked how it got inside I said that when you're a grown up your testicles make make sperm and then his body would give them to the mommy he liked that idea. Now he's 8 and the other day asked me how many eggs I've released so far in my life and how many sperm dh had released, lol.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Timely thread. The other day the dog came home from a trip to the vet very VERY excited. He's neutered so apparently car rides are his thing instead of girl dogs. DD2, 4.5yo, noticed and inquired about the wet pink thing coming out from the dog's bottom. DH and I looked at each other with a mix of panic and hilarity. DD1 (7) was content with "that's what happens when dog's get excited" but DD2 wanted to know more. A lot more. I have a feeling questions about babies and bodies is not far away.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been reading "It's Not the Stork" a lot with DS1 now that I'm pregnant. It's great!
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think you'd just better read, "It's not the Stork" to him. It gives the full explanation, but without any fanfare.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast