Default Please recommend your cold thermos for kids

Stachio starts school Tuesday and asked yesterday if he could take "milk" to school since he can't drink cows milk. Usually he just drinks water. I understand the desire for something other than water and he didn't ask for juice so I really want to honor his request. I read that funtainers were good for keeping things warm but not cold. Any recommendations for cold. I'd be sending rice milk.

TIA!
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Don't they make rice milk in single serve boxes? I'd do that rather than chancing a thermos.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Funtainers for sure. I've been sending the kids with milk for the last three years and never had a problem. When I dump them out in the evening they're usually still cold. Just fill it at night and refrigerate filled until the morning - stays colder that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Funtainers work really well for cow's milk, so I suspect they would be fine for milk alternatives. Throw an ice cube in if you are concerned. The liquid will still be cold at pick up. I think you are thinking of funtainer food jars. I don't think you can put hot beverages in funtainer thermos drink containers.

I fill the funtainers with ice water while I'm getting the rest of lunch together and then dump it and fill with almond milk and it is still cold when the leftovers come home.

my son is using a funtainer thermos for his water at school. I fill and put in the fridge at night and it stays plenty cold for him for lunch time. its still pretty cold after school.
    Renee
    (mommom to Noah my beautiful Ethiopian miracle. born 6/26/08 forever a family 4/20/09)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Please recommend your cold thermos for kids

I am all about reusing things for the most part, but we use the chocolate soy milk singles. I was initially buying her milk coupons through the hot lunch program, but then realized it was just as cheap to buy the milk boxes at Costco.

Otherwise we have had good luck with the Funatiners, and now Contigo's Trekker cups.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Thanks for the recs - we got him a funtainer. He already has one but I wasn't 100% sure it was a funtainer, we figured he could use a new one anyway. I guess I never refrigerated his drink (always water) prior to sending into school so it never seemed to keep it cold.

WRT the single serve milk options - we don't do Soy milk in general because his allergy was originally dairy and Soy. The rice milk singles are expensive and very hard to find around here. Plus they are 8 oz, and he never drinks that in one sitting...a lot would be wasted.

Our school's don't offer any alternative to Cow's milk except water.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post
    Thanks for the recs - we got him a funtainer. He already has one but I wasn't 100% sure it was a funtainer, we figured he could use a new one anyway. I guess I never refrigerated his drink (always water) prior to sending into school so it never seemed to keep it cold.

WRT the single serve milk options - we don't do Soy milk in general because his allergy was originally dairy and Soy. The rice milk singles are expensive and very hard to find around here. Plus they are 8 oz, and he never drinks that in one sitting...a lot would be wasted.

Our school's don't offer any alternative to Cow's milk except water.
    Another vote for funtainers. Make sure u talk about biting holes in the straw. Dd2 who is SEVEN did this and it drips bc of it.... Standing up in her backpack us fine.

We also were dairy/soy allergic (still no soy milk!) we did tons of rice BUT now almond single serves work nicely.

She alternates vanilla/choc and it seems ok.., I have seen a torso rash and loose stool ( like with dairy). But zero hives!
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2