Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Am I doing this wrong?

Trying to potty train DS…

We have training underwear and plastic pants that he's been wearing for 2 days. We've sat on the potty, little Elmo potty and big potty with potty seat like a thousand times every 20 minutes and no results. I can't really tell if he's actively resisting or if he doesn't know how to accomplish peeing on the potty.

Yesterday he went from 1pm to 7 pm with dry pants…then peed within 5 minutes of us putting a diaper on to get ready for bed. We've offered stickers to sit on the potty and chocolate for pee on the potty. We've both gone in and gone in front of him. Today I tried to tank him up with juice so he'd need to go more often but he is now refusing to drink the juice (we don't have juice like ever so I figured it was high value for him..guess not!).

Today he peed in his training pants during his nap, but hasn't otherwise wet his diaper or training pants. It's 5 pm! Help!!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Mine all potty trained naked/ bottomless. They peed in underpants, pull ups and diapers. 3 of them didn't wear any kind of underpants for months after potty training. ( just soft pants/ shorts)
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd just put him back in diapers and try again in a month or so. Doesn't sound ready to me. And when you do try again use pull ups or diapers for sleep.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfowife View Post
    I'd just put him back in diapers and try again in a month or so. Doesn't sound ready to me. And when you do try again use pull ups or diapers for sleep.
    Agreed.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The reason I thought he was ready is because when he is resisting napping or going to bed...he will pee or poo his diaper and call out to have it changed... Since he knows that's a sure way of getting us in the room again. Sometimes it's small amount of pee so he must have the required control, no? And he's the only kid in his preschool class who isn't trained.

Tonight after dinner he spent one hour on the potty playing ipad and nothing. Then put a diaper on getting ready for bed and it's already wet.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DS just turned 3. We have tried to train him, and he just isn't ready. He tells us if he is wet or poopy, but if we sit him on the potty he does nothing. Daycare has been trying as well. He is one of the only ones not trained in his class, but oh well. My older DS trained at 2 1/2, so I'm a bit frustrated, but this is beyond my control.

I'd stop and try again in another month or so. You don't want him to withhold going, as that can create other problems.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Training pants were useless for me. DD1 just acted like they were a diaper. I let her pick some underwear she liked and kept the little potty within 10 feet of her the first few days. She had some accidents, but was very aware of them and wanted out of her pants immediately and I was able to discuss how much nicer going in the potty and staying dry is. I do diapers for naps and night time, but underwear was the way to go for me.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Newly 3 is young for a boy to be potty trained. Both of my kids could control when they went well before they were willing to give up diapers. I'd wait and try again in a month or more.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Mine all potty trained naked/ bottomless. They peed in underpants, pull ups and diapers. 3 of them didn't wear any kind of underpants for months after potty training. ( just soft pants/ shorts)
    I agree with the bottomless method. We did that for a day or two and transitioned to no undies, then added underwear around a month.

How old is he? If close to 3 I'd keep trying, if under 2.5 I might pause and try again soon. It sounds like he definitely has bladder control down if he can hold it that long and essentially pee on command for attention. I'd use a little potty and would figure out his currency (m&m, stickers, whatever) . I'd also find a themed potty book that fits his interests. DS loved a pirate potty book and a superhero one.

I found that the first two days were the hardest and then it clicked.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It took 6 days for it to click for ds2. He was over 3yo. We went cold turkey on diapers. He just didn't care at all about accidents.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast