View Poll Results: do you bring wedding gifts to the wedding?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • we bring the gifts to the wedding

2 5.41%
  • we mail gifts to the designated address from whereever we order them from

14 37.84%
  • we mail a card with a check or gift card to the designated address

3 8.11%
  • we bring a card with a check, cash, or gift card to the wedding

8 21.62%
  • we order or buy gifts, wrap them at home, and them mail them to the designated address

0 0%
  • it just depends on the wedding and or situation

9 24.32%
  • other

1 2.70%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Mail or have registry ship. No one wants to have to worry about gifts and transporting them after a wedding, etiquette guides actually say to mail.
    Yep. I have given cards at the wedding but that's expected around here. There's always a basket out for them.

One of our gifts was broken in the rush to get them out after our party. I say mail it!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I used to wrap gifts in beautiful paper and bring them to the wedding....until I got married. After our wedding I realized how much more I remember the gifts that arrived separately because everything around the wedding is a big happy blur. It was nice to write a thank you note immediately without a stack of twenty more notes staring at me.

Now I ship them directly to the registry address and send a nice card with a note separately or send a card with check in the mail. I've heard of too many weddings where some of the card/cash gifts mysteriously disappeared, plus it's one less thing to remember to bring to the wedding.
    Last edited by mikala; 09-01-2014 at 10:31 AM.

I've only attended NYC area weddings so I've only given cash gifts. But it seems that mailing an actual gift would be the best for the bride abd groom. We were given several gifts at our NYC wedding by out of town guests. One actually mailed it to our home but the rest showed up with them. We were not living in NY at the time and left for our honeymoon the next morning so those gifts wound up sitting at my parents' house for awhile. We were not prepared for them (not the norm in our circle or families) and didn't have a gift table.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It depends.

Most of the weddings I attend are in the bride's hometown or somewhere tropical etc etc, as opposed to being in the city the couple lives. In which case I ALWAYS ship from the registry. Period. The thought of dealing with hauling back a bunch of presents, regardless of size - ugh, no. That is no gift to a newlywed couple!

Occasionally for local weddings, however, where the couple lives and marries in my city, I will bring a gift. Locals tend to register at a few local boutiques (you know the kind - my mother an her mother before her got her wedding china from THIS store), which do not ship or have online ordering. In which case sure - wrap it up, bring it to the wedding.

Gift wrap has never even entered my mind as a consideration for deciding how to deliver a wedding gift.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default do you take wedding gifts to the wedding, or mail them?

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yep. I have given cards at the wedding but that's expected around here. There's always a basket out for them.
    Same in our area too and in NorCal where I grew up. Thanks for the opinions.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

At our wedding, most of the gifts were mailed (most did not pay extra for the wrapping and I didn't care).

I chose depends on the wedding, but I would either mail a gift or take a card with a check inside. I wouldn't want the wedding couple to have to deal with gifts at the wedding

I did have one good friend give me a card with $200 cash inside and that came in VERY handy at the honeymoon. She put it into my hand though and mentioned that it was "For use on the honeymoon" (to make sure we opened it right away. Good idea) and that is the only situation I'd give cash.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We've always brought gifts to weddings. But I'm learning from this board that we are total country bumpkins when it comes to wedding culture, lol. I totally agree that the convenience of getting wedding presents at the home would be SO nice. I'm reformed now.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I voted other because, for the most part, in my area if you bring a gift to the shower, you aren't expected to shell out for a separate wedding gift. So, my wedding gifts are always brought to the shower.

But, in your case, I'd mail it. It's easier on everyone involved.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2