Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Nothing is better than water. I put Crystal Lite in mine. I have a quart water bottle at work. I actually have to drink a GALLON a day due to our climate and some meds I take. If you made yourself drink a quart at work and a quart from when you get home till bedtime, you will see a difference.
    Thanks, Rebecca. Ok, I've got my Starbucks Trenta cup (30 oz) that I've drank up and refilled once, working on that one. Then I'll do another before bed. But my feet up but gonna have to do this in another room, I'm contorted at the moment with the laptop. This swellign really does suck.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    I have the same issue in the summer. I'm ok in the winter. I didn't know Yoga was a solution. Are there any yoga DVDs that I can do at home that will help with the swelling?
    I think pretty much any yoga will help, so long as you go slowly & listen to your body.

My mother takes classes, but she likes yoga led by Shiva Rea. I like Yoga Zone and Crunch.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Generally if you retain water it is because you need MORE water. Paradox...s.
    This exactly. I have it too, and at 45, it has gotten worse over the last year. I had medical issues checked and don't have any. But I also noticed that I was retaining more in my face - especially pictures taken in the early morning. I had gained maybe 6 lbs this summer and someone took a Photo of me after a fun dinner out the night before and it was stunning. My face was completely puffed out. Combination of salty for, a few glasses of wine and probably 6-7 hours of sleep.

On a friends recommendation a few weeks ago, I read a book called "the fast metabolism diet". I have lost 7 lbs on it so far. It requires a ton of water - as well as fruits and veggies. It has been completely changing for me. My candles are not gone completely but I have lost the puffy look I have had all summer. Water is it, and heathy eating.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've had lymphatic edema in one leg for 20+ years. It's worse when it's hot and humid, but never great...unless I keep my foot up as much as possible.

A little is better than none - but more is better. Through 5 jobs I've had a box of copy paper under my desk as a foot rest/prop. It's about as high as is comfortable under a desk/on a computer, but makes a HUGE difference. If I'm on the couch at home, my feet are on the ottoman.

If it's really bad (ie this time of year, esp if I'm sitting a lot without somewhere to put it up) I ask for an extra chair at a restaurant to use 'because I need to put my leg up'. 15 years ago I occasionally got an evil eye (didn't stop me, to be clear). Now it's almost always a gracious 'of course'.

If I'm having a day where I just can't keep it up long enough, I lie on the floor with my legs on the bed for as long as I can - reading my phone/ereader, however I can distract myself. This past weekend it was REALLY bad (hot, humid, standing/sitting with nowhere to put it up unavoidably for 8+ hours). When we got home the next day I was 'off duty' for a couple hours with it propped high on pillows on the couch which also helps.

Good luck - it's no fun!

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For the amount of water, I drink half in ounces of lbs weighed. So I was 150, and that means 75 oz of water a day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2