Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Tubes and Continued Ear Infections

Has anyone's DC have tubes put in and have the kid continue to get ear infections with each cold? If yes, what did you do? DD2 got tubes at 8 months. Now at almost 10 months she is getting her second ear infection post surgery. With the first one, we did the drops for the week without it getting better, horrible discharge, including blood, and then ended up on oral antibiotics. The day she started oral antibiotics, she screamed much of the day. She is a really happy kid and that was extremely out of character. I just started the drops today when I saw discharge coming out of her ear. She has been screaming again. I am at a loss of what to do. Do I call the ped? ENT? Give it time with the drops? I have regular antibiotic drops and ones with steroids. Should I try using the ones with steroids and see if they work better? She is just a baby

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd call the pedi or ENT's office tomorrow and see what they recommend. DS had tubes and had occasional infections with them. Initially some cleared with drops, some needed oral antibiotics. Then during one visit for a suspected ear infection, the dr discovered that the tube was clogged with wax and no longer in a place where it was functioning to drain the fluid which meant the drops couldn't work properly. I'm sorry- I remember how hard it was when he had one and was clearly in pain!

No advice on which kind of drops...we only had one kind.

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When DS1 had tubes at 18 months, he would occasionally get outer ear infections (swimmer's ear) and have the orange discharge and ear pain. It was usually because I had difficulty keeping ear plugs in his ears at bath time and when swimming. The drops usually helped.

He only had a few inner ear infections while he had tubes. They were removed when he was 8 years old.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd call the ENT. It could be blocked with wax or it could have come out. They are supposed to last for 9 months to a year. One of my son's ear tubes fell out at four months and needed to be replaced. Both tubes have now fallen out about a year past surgery. He had one infection since then. We will see how things go, but I would not hesitate to put another set in if need be.

I feel like I could be writing this post. DD had tubes put in in June, at 7months. Since then she has had 3 ear infections -used drops and then 2 rounds of oral antibiotics. Her tubes are functioning because she drains pus and wax when she is infected.(and because I feel like I live at the ent office). I have decided to go to a pediatric chiropractor with her next one. I just don't want to keep throwing antibiotics at her little body.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cckwmh View Post
    I feel like I could be writing this post. DD had tubes put in in June, at 7months. Since then she has had 3 ear infections -used drops and then 2 rounds of oral antibiotics. Her tubes are functioning because she drains pus and wax when she is infected.(and because I feel like I live at the ent office). I have decided to go to a pediatric chiropractor with her next one. I just don't want to keep throwing antibiotics at her little body.
    This is the situation exactly. I know the tube is fine. It is draining. A lot. I got tubes so she wouldn't need so many antibiotics. My ped is really against pediatric chiros. My LC suggested it when we were having nursing issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swear by ped chiro - she treated me during pregnancy and has seen my little for a couple of months now. I would search for someone that is specific in maternal and pediatric. I can understand the hesitation but a highly rated ped chiro is worth his/her weight in gold.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Ds2 had several ear infections before he turned 1 (with every cold pretty much.) I took him 2 times to a chiropractor and he has never had one since then despite many many colds.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm so sorry. No advice just hugs because that sounds painful and stressful for all. Hope you get answers soon.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD2 had tubes placed at 14mos and had 2-3 EIs in the 2 mos post surgery. After that we never had another. It can't hurt to see the ENT for advice and consult with a chiro.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.