Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Talk to me about getting a dog

DH and DDs have been after me to get a dog for years. They want one NOW. And then they will leave for the day for school and work, and I will be left with the dog. I told them I will decide when we get one and it will be MY dog which I will share since I will basically end up doing everything for it (I already know everyone lies when they say they will help/feed/clean up after/walk in the freezing dark in the winter - they won't).

I am OK with it but nervous. I am a SAHM and come and go as I please/need to right now, but I'd be on the dog schedule, especially if we get a puppy. We travel at least once a year, so I feel bad leaving the dog.

Plus we are having the master bathroom renovated starting in Oct for 8 weeks, so there we'd be bringing either a puppy or very young dog (under 6mos) into a construction zone. Granted that's upstairs and the main living area is downstairs but this might be a bad idea?? (People coming and going, construction noise, etc..) DH sees no problem with it. Also, DD2 is a little hesitant around dogs, she loves them and wants to play with them but if they jump she flinches or jumps back - hard with a puppy or young dog as that's their main thing!

We went and met with a breeder last night, a couple of her dogs just had puppies so there are 4 spots available (they'd come home late Oct), they are no/low shed which I prefer. There is another dog at a shelter that is SO cute we are trying to meet him too (probably could come home very soon), but he's going to be a shedder (lab mix).

I'm all over the place. SIL was texting me last night asking if I was sure and reminding me I'd basically be right back in diaper mode again - cleaning up after another living thing!

I had a dog growing up and loved him, so I don't know why I'm so worried! Help me think this through, please.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I truly don't understand the people who say that having a dog is like having another kid or diaper mode again. Those people either didn't have three kids in two years or didn't adopt an adult dog. My dog has been very easy, even though she has issues (leash reactivity and others). A dog us much easier than a kid, no matter how you cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I think that your life will be crazy enough with your house-reno to get a dog NOW. Maybe after the reno is complete or next summer, when your DDs could be more hands-on with responsibilities, would be better? (I got my own cat during the summer of 1989; I was 11.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

As a dog novice, I did find getting a puppy to be a lot of work, ours is on the super energetic side (even the trainer felt he was on the outside range of energy for a puppy).
    That said, no where as much work as a baby, just lots of trips out to the backyard for the first month or two. Now that he is more than a year old, he is slowly calming down.

I would have chosen an older dog if I could, but not having had a dog before, we weren't having much success with rescue groups and the kids were getting tired of waiting. Our dog is hypoallergenic and though he is super fluffy, he doesn't shed at all and there is no doggie smell which I love.

I highly recommend adopting an adult over getting a puppy. It's dangerous either way to have a dog who's new to the house with workers going in and out, but an adult dog is more easily kept on leash and with you wherever you are. An adult dog will be housebroken already, and you'll know it's temperament and whether it's a jumper. I would not get a puppy until you are ready to dedicate a lot of time to training it properly.

Sorry, it's only the master bathroom being worked on so basically the whole living area of the house will be untouched but it will be busy.

And DDs are 9 and nearly 11 so they are MORE than old enough to have some responsibility. I just see how that goes here in general. (I do way too much. Which is a huge disservice to them, I know.)

A dog is work, and a puppy or very young dog is even more work. You're right, the Reno is upstairs but you'll still be dealing with a puppy/dog excited or nervous with all the contractor guys coming in/out of your house constantly. You'll have to make sure the dog doesn't find ways to escape if the contractor frequently leave door open or "forget to close it!".

I had to gate my boxers in the den at the time of my kitchen Reno. Big pita as it meant I had to get them fed, walked and settled all before the contractors were to start their day in my kitchen, by 730am! So I agree, timing is bad. If you can deal with that then by any means but why add more stress by adding in something when you can have the dog well after bathroom is done? Then it's winter and holidays, so perhaps next spring is good?
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it will be ok. DH and I WOH FT so our dog is left alone 9hr a day. Up until he was about 4yr we crated while we were at work. We definitely crate trained him as a puppy and that worked great. We have invisible fence so it's easy for him to hang out outside when we are home. We do travel a few times a year (usually shorter trips) and we have someone come dog sit at our house. Usually it's my mom but at Xmas time we went to WDW for a week and one of DH's single friends house/dog sat for us. My SIL and her husband travel a few times a year and they either kennel their dog or the woman who fostered him (he was a puppy when they got him from a lab rescue) will watch him. I think you'd be fine to come/go as you please. Dog will get used to the "routine" of it even if it isn't very routine. And if you crate him/her that'll just help. Dogs really seem to love their crates. The most important thing will be getting some type of daily exercise/activity and you can just fit that into your schedule. I would recommend basic puppy training class. We did that and found it helpful for getting "good manners" started right from the start. You could also try doggy daycare. This would give you a chance to get the dog exercised and socialized while you are going about your day and also most of the doggy daycare places do kenneling so then pup would already be used to and enjoy the environment if you used their kenneling service during your vacation travel.

We've had our dog for 8.5yr, have had 2 kids since, we work and have kids' activities, and we haven't regretted a day of it.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    Then it's winter and holidays, so perhaps next spring is good?
    I know, I've been through this whole scheduling thing, LOL. It's spring then summer and we go away for 2 weeks. I wouldn't want to get a dog and then leave it a few months later!

Ugh. And the best part is DH sees no problem with the reno and a new dog. Seriously. As he will leave for work each morning and not have to deal!!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    A dog is work, and a puppy or very young dog is even more work. You're right, the Reno is upstairs but you'll still be dealing with a puppy/dog excited or nervous with all the contractor guys coming in/out of your house constantly. You'll have to make sure the dog doesn't find ways to escape if the contractor frequently leave door open or "forget to close it!".

I had to gate my boxers in the den at the time of my kitchen Reno. Big pita as it meant I had to get them fed, walked and settled all before the contractors were to start their day in my kitchen, by 730am! So I agree, timing is bad. If you can deal with that then by any means but why add more stress by adding in something when you can have the dog well after bathroom is done? Then it's winter and holidays, so perhaps next spring is good?
    That's where I was going, thank you!

I think that, regardless of how contained the construction area is, it will set you up for a lot of extra stress if you get a dog NOW.

Summer, when your DDs, who ARE old enough to take on responsibilities for caring for a dog (IMO, not trying to judge, just saying that chronologically, they're in the sweet spot for this), will be home from school and able to help - even if it's a minimum of feeding/watering/walking/playing per a chore chart & family contract that is Very Clear about the responsibilities - may be a better time to get the dog.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast